Can Sealed Hay harbor bunny mites?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lunarlady

Reaction score
Oh my gosh, I just had a realization.. or a really weird suspicion.. Is it possible that the hay that I bought could harbor bunny mites?!

I'm just wondering cause it might be the reason why my bunnies have ear mites..

I've had them for a month already and it was only now that the ear mites started to come out. Not sure if they really got it from the pet shop they came from or if they got it from the hay?

I know I might sound very paranoid right now so just let me know if my mind is overthinking things.

One of those questions that can only be answered by "crystal ball". We've only had to deal with ear mites once and she came to us with them. Never had a problem like that with hay in more than a decade, but, ours comes from a different source than yours.

You might want to replace the hay as a precaution, but my guess would be that the rabbits already had the ear mites when you got them. There weren't enough of them to be noticed until now.

I know when I had rats and the forum I had joined had said that the bedding can harbor mites.. so they suggested freezing they product for like 24-48 hours..

Back