Can rabits eat cooked veg?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jyrenze

Reaction score
Is it alright to feed my rabbits cooked vegetables leftover from dinner? Not fried but just steamed.

Myself, I wouldn't do it, not that I cook anyway.

Ed

as long as there isnt anyspices , salts and sugars , added before serving,it shouldnt hurt in a limited quantity, I certainly wouldntover do it though .

I don't forsee a problem, but my understanding was that certain methods of cooking vegetables removed the nutrients.

I'd say, as long as they are veggies that youcannormally feed to them raw (i.e., no rhubarb or anythingthat could potentially make them sick), it shouldn't hurt them...thoughas bunnydude mentioned, cooked/steamed vegetables do lose a ton ofnutritional value (which is why over half of my own diet is raw...Ithink the bunnies have it right ;)). Actually, when I was a lot youngerI used to make a Christmas treat for my rabbits. I'd take some of theveggies that were being prepared for Christmas dinner and cook theminto a broth, let it cool off, and feed that to my outdoor buns. Theyloved it! I wouldn't make it a habit of feeding bunnies cooked veggiessimply for the loss in nutritional value...but every once in a whileshould be fine...

Thanks for the replies =) Though I'm not sure ifmy bunnies would eat the steamed veggies anyway, they do turn up theirnoses at unfamiliar forms of food usually.

Has anyone heard about giving the water youcooked them in to the rabbits? I thoguht of it when I was dumping outthe water from supper a few nights ago.

Or would this taste bitter to them?

Latest posts

Back