Can rabbits have the big bales of have instead of the meadow and timothy hay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1357rabbitlover

Reaction score
The title was supposed to say 'can rabbits have the big bales of hay instead of the meadow and timothy hay?' :)

The bag of meadow hay i buy for my bunnies costs £4 and it's quite a small bag, when a farmer near me sells big square bales of hay for £2-£3, so it's cheaper and will last longer! Would this hay be ok to feed my bunnies? :)

My vet says yes as long as its horse quality hay. Mine are on Timothy/alfalfa mix does in a bag from tractor supply and has a horse on it. Our vet uses the same kind for their buns

Just check what kind of hay it is. I get mine in bale form as well. I use timothy and orchard grass. It can be much fresher and less dusty than the bags as well.

That is what I use for my rabbtis Our neghbor sells us hay and delivers it for free. The hay they sell in Pet stores is overpriced and usuallly for a small amount. I would see no reason for you not to use it for your rabbit.,

I feed mine whatever we have on hand for the horses. It's usually mostly timothy/grass, with fluctuations in the ratio of timothy to grass (due to different fields). I'd go broke if I had to buy it from a pet store!

I used to buy that expensive hay from the petstore it like 23$ per 95oz! I bought that for a couple of years then thought 'why in the world am I paying 23$ for 95oz of dried grass?' Now I buy bales for my bunnies.

I buy bales for my rabbits, always have, always will. A couple of weekends ago I bought a 70lb bale of Timothy for $16. I always compair that to what petstore hay was last time I looked (long time ago). Last I looked the hay at petco was $8 for 8oz. I find that crazy. I could get 1lb at petco for the same price I can get 70lb at the feed store. At the feed store the hay is MUCH better quality and fressher. It is better in every way posible. I will never pay even $1 per pound of hay (sorry Oxbow).

Latest posts

Back