Can rabbits eat bird seed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How come outdoor rabbits need more help with weight and coat, just out of curiosity? I never found my rabbits needed anything extra when I had outdoor buns.

Sometimes in the cold, (it was 18 degrees Fin my barnthis morning, about -7.7 C), theymay not eat enough to keep weight on, especially the Giants.

I give them fresh water 3 times a day, but it can still freeze (a thirsty bunny won't eat!). If we have several days or a week of freezing temps, I also think it helps their coats and skin. It's not necessary, but I think it helps them.

But Idon't wantto overdo it either. Too many sunflower seeds may cause a major coat moult, which would be very bad during the cold months!

Honeypot, I've actually read that sunflower seeds are good conditioning foods for show rabbits. Of course, you don't feed them JUST sunflower seeds, but also whatever else they normally eat. I give my bunnies sunflower seeds and oranges, plus their regular rations of pellets, veggies, fruits, hay/straw, before major shows/fairs. It helps to get their coats/bodies in top show conditions.

Emily

NZminilops wrote:
How come outdoor rabbits need more help with weight and coat, just out of curiosity? I never found my rabbits needed anything extra when I had outdoor buns.

It's in the winter that they need the help.
Less humidity can dry out their coats and skin.
The sunflower seeds help keep them warm, too.
They've got lots of fiber in them, too....along with protein & fat though.

I give all of my buns a fews seeds every night during the winter. Even though they're inside, they're in the basement and it tends to be a bit cooler.
It also made a major difference in their coats after a week or so......especially the black bunnies, they're so shiny now!

Back