Can rabbits be allergic to birds?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephanie

Reaction score
I ask this because we were in VT for mygrandmother's funeral last weekend (yes, another one....) and wenoticed that Chompers was snuffling a bit while there.

Now, it did sound a lot like his happy noise that he makes, and we bothknow he loves it at my Mom's house. The change this time is that shemoved her two birds (a Cockatoo and another exotic that I'm alwaysforgetting the breed) upstairs near where the rabbits stay. Dave thinksthat Chomps could have been allergic to the birds. I'm not so surethough and thought I'd ask here.

He was fine when we got home and isn't making that snuffling noise. Theother two did fantastic with the ride and at my Mom's. I think with allthe traveling we've been doing lately down there, that they're all usedto it now.

I don't know for sure, but I would thinkprobably. Some birds, like Cockatoos, produce a ton ofdander. I'm allergic to it, so why couldn't the buns be?

Jen

Thanks Jen. I know the Cockatoos produce a tonof dander too, more so than other birds from what I've read on them.Didn't even think of that. He was fine literally as soon as we got himin the car. I think he actuallymay like the car now...

Anyway, that is food for thought, seeing how we want to get a Cockatooin a few years, once Ayla is bigger. If Chomps is allergic, no bird forus!

Abby and Valuran were fine. But we all know that rabbits are like people, all different from each other.

What I'd worry about is the rabbits eating all the food that drops tothe floor. Parrots are very messy eaters, and eat more human food thanseeds. My rabbits would gorge!

It's not something we're prepared to do right now, seeing we're havinga babyin three months. Parrots are just too much work andwe're going to have our hands full with an infant. My mom swears herbirds are more work than having a baby, and she had twins!

I know, it hit me yesterday that I'm going into my third trimester. It's almost like, What happened to the last six months??

I'm doing ok. Under a lot of stress with the deaths of my grandmothers.I had contractions for three days, very frequent and steady, withcramping. :?Turns out everything is ok now, although I'm on apartial bedrest type thing for a couple of weeks. I can still walkaround, but not for more than an hour and absolutely no lifting. I'm tolay down for most of the day too.

GRRRRRR!!!!

I am feeling better now though. Sleeping better now that I'm home andeverything is done, as far as wakes and funerals goes. Knitting up astorm and that really makes me feel good to do something so productive.

Its nice to know that once your family memberdied, another life is being born. Its ashame that your family memberdidnt get to see your new arrival. I never got to see my grandadbecause he died just before i was born :(Congrats anyway tothe soon to be new arrival! Hope the birth goes well for you.

I have a cockatiel who I used to house next tomy dutch rabbit. I noticed him sniffling and began looking for thecause. I vaccumed the room and did some dusting and the bunny gotbetter. I have since then moved the cocakteil to the other side of theroom and I keep up on my cleaning and the bunny is fine.

Oh and both my rabbits eat all the messes the bird makes, I have toclean up all the bird food before I let the rabbits out cause they gostraightto the bird cage for some yummies.

Latest posts

Back