Can pet breed rabbits live in the wild?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem with natural vegetation has nothing to do with them being in competition with you.

They're an unnatural species, they are not a part of the ecosystem, and the local wildlife (not just animals, but plants) are not adapted to live in a community with dozens of feral herbivores.

How quickly do the plants reproduce? What are their ideal growing conditions? What if the rabbits eat off all the young, fresh plants, thereby wiping out the reproductive capabilities of the entire species in that area?

Ecosystems are incredibly complex webs of species that interconnect and rely on each other down to the minute nuances of their life cycles. It doesn't take much to upset that fragile balance, and you simply cannot introduce a potentially invasive species without disasterous results. Look at what the rabbits did in Australia...

I think the point has been made. :) Fish has said that s/he'll put the plan on hold. S/he also said that she'd consider a shelter with a large run area and supervision. I think s/he's being very reasonable. :) And s/he's an educated person, so Iassume that the plan, if it goes ahead, will only include spayed and neutered rabbits.

Heroriginal question was whatbreeds are better suited for outdoor life in Texas, so assuming they will be spayed, neutered, sheltered in an enclosed areaand closely supervised, if anybody has anything to add, please feel free to post.

Personally I don't know, but I'd guess thatthe more natural breeds would do better? The short-faced, dwarf and lop breeds are more prone to medical problems, aren't they?I'd also thinkthat their enclosed area shouldhave areas where they can safely burrowor at least hang out underground where it's cooler. Heat will really be an issue.Medically, parasites will also be a major issue to the non-native buns, and as Pam said, be prepared for vet bills, seeing as they'll have to be medically monitored, aside from the neuters and spays.

I would also assume from what I've read on the board thatthe breeds like the tans would be happy for theroom to run, but I'm not sure howfriendly they'd be if that's an issue. From a rescue standpoint, the shelters are full larger white bunnies with pink eyes (as well asplain black bunnies), presumablyNew Zealand-types,that never seem to get adopted and would be happy to live in a sheltered, supervised area with outdoor access than not to live at all.

Or, as noted, there are alwayswild bunnies. :)

Another caution: If you do have domestic rabbits on the site, watch very closely for people 'dumping' their unwanted (and unaltered) petson yourproperty. The warrens/herds will have to be small enough for easy head counts. (Although that said, better they drop them on a supervised property than unsupervised).

I hope fish2026 returns and reports on the progress if s/he ever gets rich enough to make it happen!

And please people, feel free to respond ifyou have anything constructive to add on topicthat hasn'talready been covered in this thread.

sas

fish2026 wrote:
All good points and they will all be considered. . .
Anyway after reading the comments Ill put this idea on hold. ITs great that there are so many posters available IMMEDIATELY to respond to questions. GReat Site and thanks to all who responded!

I have to say this: Even if there are no natural predators on the property now, (which is unlikely, they probably just haven't been observed there) once you start releasing an animal that will, at least at first, be very easy prey, you will have predators galore very soon. I have raised poultry in a wooded area for more than ten years, and this is experience speaking. We had only a normal amount of predators on our property when we got our chickens, and we thought it would be ok to free-range them. We lost twenty-five to thirty within six months, and they have been penned ever since.
Also, keep in mind, EVERYTHING eats rabbits!!

And that is my two cents, I'll be quiet now. :cool:

Defintaly don't let a domesticated rabbit go in the wild!! Grass and twigs are not going to be a proper diet for a domesticated animal who's been fed on pellets. Not to mention predators, like hawks and foxes. Ya, I'm sure any bun would love to frollect in wide open space. They would soon get home sick, though, depending on how much your bunny loves you.
I remember what my mum used to say back in the earlier days when I first got Bun-Bun. "If I see that rabbit chew up one more thing - he's out into the woods!!" Of course my mum probably knew that he'd have only a snow ball's chance in hell to survive.

And like the other person said above me - That's my 2 cents as wel. lol

Pipp wrote:
I think the point has been made. :) Fish has said that s/he'll put the plan on hold. S/he also said that she'd consider a shelter with a large run area and supervision. .... And please people, feel free to respond ifyou have anything constructive to add on topicthat hasn'talready been covered in this thread.

I'm going to repeat myself... thanks for the 2 cents, Bun Bun, but I think, as noted in my previous post as above, the point was made and it's getting into the 'beating a dead horse' territory. (And what an awful expression!)

sas (putting on my moderator hat)

I hope that this board does not come to the point of censorship and closing down threads when a moderator has tired of the conversation.

This is a relevant thread of a serious and continuing problem of abandoning rabbits in the wild.

I don't understand why non-topic "fluff" posts are allowed to continue endlessly, but when an important issue relating to rabbits is debated, posters are asked to discontinue their discussion or the threads are locked on a moderator's whim?

I believe this thread has been very educational and have seen no reason for discussion on this thread to be terminated if there is additional and relevant information to contribute.

It has been noted that we may continue on this thread, but only if weadhere to the stipulationsset by one moderator.I don't believe that this thread has violated any rules of the board that would justify censoringparticipants. Moderators should use their authority with discretion, and step in only when threads become inflammatory -- not when they deemthat enough has been said about a particular topic.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Moderators should use their authority with discretion, and step in only when threads become inflammatory -- not when they deemthat enough has been said about a particular topic.
The thread is not being locked, nor is discussion being limited aside from the above suggestion, but there have been inflammatory comments in a couple of the posts, now, which were edited. :) The caution is only to discourage more of the same.

sas

Here's an email I got back from Quan Myer, who has a'Rabbitat for Humanity' outdoor sanctuary in Maine housing 87 rabbits. (I also replied saying we'd love to see photos).It's a lot of work and may be beyond Fish's budget, and supervision will bea problem, but IMO, would be great if it ever happened. So Fish, good luck with it!!

sas et al

Hi.
Be glad to let you know how I have built a predator
proof space for my bunnies. First I cover the ground
with welded, galvanized wire( no rusting out) so they
can not dig out and no animals can dig in. then I use
4 foot stockade fences and fill all holes with crushed
rock. The entire stockade has wire stapled to the
posts, (no way for predators to get in). I put two
strands of electric fences 4 and 8 to 10 inches around
the entire rabbitat. I put sensor lights in the trees
on all four corners of the rabbitat. It is time
consuming and expensive but well worth it. I have had
bunnies outside for 7 years and not lost any to
predators. I am hypervigilant, checking fences every
day, keeping the grass mown around it, and always
alert to any unfamiliar sound outside my bedroom
window at night. I am a light sleeper so if the fence
goes off or the lights come on, I am right out there.
I am very conscious about the possiblity of danger to
my bunnies, heat, cold, rain, etc. They are divided in
to small groups with hutches, tunnels, all kinds of
places to hide and be protected from the weather. They
live amongst a group of trees and have plenty places
to dig and eat grasses. I would be glad to send photos
to anyone interested. Quan

That's awesome, Pipp, thanks for sharing :)

Just thinking out loud, but my other concern would be for health monitering. I'm thinking abcesses, tumors, molor spurs, bloat, those sorts of things... I suppose a person with outdoor rabbits would just have to work extra hard to make sure everyone was healthy (and socialized enough to be handled ;))

This probably falls under ME's comment but I would be concerned about bots since there does not seem to be a way to keep them away. We have had members that have lost their loved ones to them. With so many rabbits I would think it would be difficult to check them daily for them. However, I do believe there are others on RO that have rabbits that live outdoors without issues.:?

BACI wrote:
This probably falls under ME's comment but I would be concerned about bots since there does not seem to be a way to keep them away. We have had members that have lost their loved ones to them. With so many rabbits I would think it would be difficult to check them daily for them. However, I do believe there are others on RO that have rabbits that live outdoors without issues.:?
More excellent points. I briefly mentioned parasites and breeds prone to dental issues, etc, but Bot flies and warbles would be of major concern I'd think.

I'd like to hear if Quan has any monitoring hints or solutions.I'll keep pestering the poor woman!

And I think the operative word here isn't so much 'outdoor' (keeping in mind MyBunnyBoys, Rabbitgirl and many others have extremely well cared for outdoor buns, and inspite of some pretty harsh weather, I may add), but 'free run'. Bunnies loose in a large area are a different story than traditional hutch bunnies.

sas

Good point about 'outdoor' vs. 'free run' :)

Latest posts

Back