CAN my rabbit be a Holland Lop?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 31452

Reaction score
I have been told my rabbit is a Holland Lop....CAN he be at 5.8 lb? Is it ONLY weight that distinguishes them? - I don't believe he is overweight - I can feel his spine & he only has a modest dewlap. I know he certainly could not be a show rabbit but COULD he be a Holland Lop as I was told? His ears are below his chin and he has pretty substantial hind feet & nails. Does his weight 5.8 lb totally rule him out as a Holland Lop? Is he more likely a mix and not pure bred as I was led to believe? I just would like to know once and for all ....just curious - I am not determined to have a Holland! Here are a couple picts ...

Attachments

• Mister -1.jpg
    Mister -1.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Mister 2.jpg
    Mister 2.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 9
Looks to have more mini lop traits to me or a mix. And would be the right weight for a mini. But one of the members with more experience can give you a better idea.

True dwarf Holland lops ( who have one dwarf gene and one normal gene) range from 2-4 Ib. However, there are Holland lops who did not receive a copy of the dwarf gene, these rabbits will be bigger, have longer ears/larger feet, and can weigh up to 5 or 6 Ibs. They are still purebred but just a little bigger than the norm. Hope this helps!

Can someone help me too. Mine is 6.3 lbs and I was told that she is a Holland lop.

1BBAA202-9A52-4517-8BFC-C3C03BA090C0.jpeg87A16497-D2B8-4AA0-B0D7-B0F4C49CC714.jpeg

an easy way to tell is that if your rabbits ears are long. Holland lop ears are smaller than mini lop ears

This is my false dwarf Holland lop. She IS purebred. Maybe it can help you compare. False dwarf Hollands have longer ears and bigger feet than true dwarfs. I haven't weighed her for a while, but my guess is she is around 5 Ibs. Lilsakli - your bun does seem pretty big to be a Holland lop and has super long ears, so maybe a mini lop.

Attachments

• IMG_1506 2.jpeg
    IMG_1506 2.jpeg
    171.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1529.jpeg
    IMG_1529.jpeg
    245.1 KB · Views: 7
These don't look like holland lop. Honestly doesn't look a ton like a mini lop either. Just because a rabbit has lop ears doesn't mean it is any of the lop breeds. It is just as likely a lop breed mix.

I figured she must be a mix of some sort. Her head appears much smaller compared to her body. And she’s quite big compared to what I am used to. Thanks for clarifying.

So still a difference of opinion lol.... I've read there is no "Dwarf" Holland Lop - it either is or isn't a "Holland Lop", but I also read that there IS " dwarf gene".. I of course love my guy not matter what....but the breeder in New Jersey where I got mine from said he would be between 2& 3 lbs. I am wondering if they just knowingly deceived me by not telling me he may or may not be bigger - or if there's just no way to tell if that "dwarf" gene will be bred in. He is am thinking yes & should have know when they used the word "teacup" as I know there is no such thing - but he is neutered & I won't be breeding him, but I'm sure as some of you understand, I JUST WANT TO KNOW for me LOL !! And bty way all those buns you included picts of are ADORABLE !!

Latest posts

Back