Can my cat bring in mites?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LionBunnies

Reaction score
Hi!

I have a little cat, and she is outside a lot.
Is it possible that she could have mites on her (from mice and other rodents/birds) that could infect my rabbits when the cat comes in contact with my rabbits?

(Sorry for my bad English! I hope you understand what I'm asking about)

She could potentially be a carrier for mites that could infect your bunnies. Mites will be very itchy and leave a bunch of black residue in the ear. Make sure your cat is treated for them (in the US we have a product that is called Revolution, it treats ear mites in cats) Talk to your local vet if there is ever a problem and make sure to treat the bunnies if you need to treat the cat.

Yes. Also fleas, etc. You'd think that this time of year that you don't have to worry about such pests, but, they dont go away. So, yes, treatment of them is yearly if you suspect the pests.

Ok :)
Well, some ppl thought it wasn't possible.
Because the rabbits couldn't get "infected" by mites from mice or other rodents. Or cats.
Only mites from other rabbits.

I wish that they could only get mites from other rabbits! In the summertime, my rabbits live in a big pole barn with open sliding doors at either end for ventilation. I have to keep an eye out, because the wild mice, birds etc go through there all the time.
Oh, just a side note-the symptoms of ear mites, or I should say the looks, are different in rabbits than they are with cats. You will still see them shaking their heads and scratching, but they don't get the black gook that cats do. Theirs will look more like really dry, flaky, kinda scabby skin inside the ears, with redness and irritation showing as the infestation progresses.

Latest posts

Back