Can Large breed rabbits be fullfilled living indoors???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BACI

Reaction score
When you buy a larger breed dog you have to have a large backyard and plenty of exercise time, is this also true of rabbits?
My real question is... Can a large rabbit be happy indoors with nooutdoor time? I have read about people having a hutch or home with alarge run for the rabbits outside. If you don't feel comfortable havingyour rabbits go outside is it cruel to adopt a larger breed rabbit?

edit:but changed my mind

It isn't cruel at all not to have a large rabbitoutside. It is cruel although to have it locked up in a small cage. I'msure if you had a room where it could have run for a large portion ofthe day. As long as it gets a large chunk of the day as exercise, Idon't think it'd be bothered by not being outside. I've read about lotsof fully indoor big rabbtis that are just happy to run around theliving room!

We are considering adopting a rabbit and I havewood floors. One of the buns I was reading about is a flemish but thefoster home also has wood flooring and so they keep the bun in only oneroom of the house. I am not sure I could do that... we really like ourpets to be part of the family. You know everyone in the living room torelax, play, watch tv, read whatever...just together.
The other reason I asked is because we wanted to keep our options open.

if you are worried about ruining the woodenfloors due to the nails of the rabbit's feet, perhaps you could putrugs on the floor? i used to live in a house with wooden floor and my gma raised dogs, we had all kinds of dogs running on the wooden floor...
BACI wrote:
We are considering adopting arabbit and I have wood floors. One of the buns I was reading about is aflemish but the foster home also has wood flooring and so they keep thebun in only one room of the house. I am not sure I could do that... wereally like our pets to be part of the family. You know everyone in theliving room to relax, play, watch tv, read whatever...just together.
The other reason I asked is because we wanted to keep our options open.

Large rabbits are great housepets! If I had space for another rabbit, I'd want one.

Is the flemish afraid of the wood floors? Some rabbits are,some aren't. You could always cover the floor with carpet or the nicelytextured glueless vinyl I used in my bunny room.

Personally I don't think any rabbit *needs* to be outside.

I am not sure how much different a true woodfloor would be, but I've got most of my house floored in Pergo (woodlaminate) and with two big dogs it doesn't scratch or peel or anythingelse. It's VERY durable. I wouldn't think the nailswould do much if any damage.

redestarrosa wrote:
if you are worried about ruining the wooden floors due to thenails of the rabbit's feet, perhaps you could put rugs on the floor?

Nope, to be honest I have tried to adopt before and was denied becauseI have a 5yr old son and they said first of all rabbits are not forkids..which the rabbit is for the 34 yr old kid not the yr old one
;)
and secondly I told them I planned on caring for the animal and shetold me well I am sure your son will be starting school and you won'thave time for the rabbit when you are at football games and such. UGH!
So, this time I am preparing for every excuse they can come up with.

Fini wrote:
I am not sure how much different a true wood floor would be
I am laughing as I write this because if you guys knew how much I loveanimals, you would understand that floor scratches would never get inmy way. but for the record our very active dog does not scratch thewood floors.
but thanks

I never saw how many pounds those get but I waslooking a little smaller than that. Those make me wonder,since they area new breed, how prevalent things like arthritis would be.Great rescuethough.

Latest posts

Back