Can I use cardboard as the base of an NIC cage?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBoyHarper

Reaction score
I can't find anyone who sells corrugated plasticmaterial here, so I'm kind of at a loss as to what else to use. I planon getting a sheet of plywood cut to the W/L of the cage and then putpeel and stick tiles on it. However, it'll be a couple weeks before Ican get that done. For now, I have a large sheet of cardboard, can Iuse that as the base/floor of the cage? Has anyone else done this?

Right now Harper's in a Marchioro 120 cage, because I took down his NICright after I built it because we moved. I'm re-building him one, butto a smaller scale. It'll look very similar to the one Spring built.

I find that bunnies love to rip and tear card board, but it may work for a very short amount of time.

Give it a try.

How is Harper with his potty training? Because the card board is not going to do much to protect the floor very much.

--Dawn

did you try calling around to places that makesigns? I looked in the phone book yellow pages under signs and calledto ask if they sold coroplast in the big sheets. Most didnt, but theywere able to put me in touch with their local supplier.

Do you have a kinkos near you? If you do, call there and see if theycan order you a sheet. Otherwise, the plywood and tiles work fine.

I think the cardboard would work for a while, but like Dawn said, itsgonna get bad if he pees on it or spills anything..maybe you could laya few rugs down or some old carpet or something?

I think there's a sign company in the town about an hour away, I'll see if I can find their number...

As far as peeing, Harper never pee's outside of his litterbox. Ever.(Aren't I lucky? LOL). He has the occasional stray poop every now andthen, but those are very rare, so I'm not too concerned about the pottyproblems. Tearing up the cardboard is a whole different story, howeverit was going to be temporary. No more than two weeks, max. Maybe I'llwait on re-building the NIC cage until I can get some chloroplast, orthat sheet of plywood with peel and stick tiles...

I use plexi glass for the bottom of mycages. You can get it fit to size at home depot. Mycages are 2 squares wide and 3 squares long. Idon't remember the exact measurements but I had the plexiglass cut 1/4 inch smaller than the actual measurement. Iroughed it up with sandpaper so it is not slippery. When theycut the piece I asked them if they had any extra remnants from previouscuts.. I drilled holes in them and attached them to the sides of thecage to use for urine guards an added bonus is that they can see thruthe plexi glass too. The cost in total for the piece I neededwas $19.99. Good deal and super easy to clean

I use cardboard for now in my NICcage. As the buns chew and dig through it, I replace it withmore cardboard. So far it's working out great - it gives theman outlet for the digging and it's easily/cheaply replaceable.

I use a carpet i got from home depot that hassort of a rubberlike bottom, you know for grip i guess. Anyway i use itrubberside up so she cant chew on the carpet and then i just cut it tofit each floor of her cage, its cheap and works great!

Latest posts

Back