Can I share some really good news?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexah

Reaction score
Okay, I'm trying to combat the negative feelings I'm having and instead only post about the positive. And I'm kind of overwhelmed with feelings of ambivalence about the whole situation, but despite that I can see what a huge accomplishment this is for me.

As many of you know, I have an eating disorder(s). I've struggled with anorexia (and bulimia in some respects) since I was 8 years old. And I'm 25 now. I've had periods of recovery, but it's never been strong recovery -- I've only just done better because I had to. It was never because I wanted to. Well, this past winter I relapsed and when I fell, I fell very hard. I made a lot of bad choices that trickled down into all aspects of my life -- including my behavior here on this site. Since then, though, I've been trying to put the pieces of my life back together. And while I've had periods of time where I was more dishonest than I'd like to admit, I really have been making an honest effort to get well. Both physically and emotionally. I think it will be something I'll always have to work on, but I am proud of the steps I've already taken and I do hope the people in my life are proud as well.

I had an appointment with my dietician this morning. And, I'm happy to say, she discharged me from treatment. I still will see my counselor and work with my doctor, but she feels as though I've made a significant improvement and that seeing her weekly is no longer necessary. And while she has discharged me, I'm opting to continue to see her on a bi-monthly basis so that I can stay connected in case I should falter. In time, my hope is that I can go from bi-monthly to an as needed basis where my meetings are not because I'm struggling, but rather to keep my meal plan updated to suit my needs. This is the first time in a very long time that I'm planning a future where recovery from my eating disorder is in the forefront. I've only ever planned before when I knew I wanted a relapse or, perhaps, just didn't care much one way or the other. Planning for health instead of sickness feels better than I could ever have imagined!

And, most importantly, my dietician weighed me this morning. She weighs me, my doctor weighs me, and in times of real trouble, my counselor even weighs me. But I do not weigh myself because I know how triggering it can be for me. Anyway, when she weighed me this morning I was told I am only 5 pounds from my target weight. This is absolutely huge for me! I've been underweight, well, for a long time now and have been hovering over a sub-standard healthy weight since mid-spring. And I've been working my butt off to get to this point. And now I'm 5 pounds away! It's really scary to me, but it's also something I'm trying to be proud of because I know how difficult this has been for me and I know how hard I've worked. So while I'm not at my target yet, I am closer than I've been in years and it feels good. It feels so good that I know I can do what is necessary to meet my target. I don't want an eating disorder anymore. I just want to be me.

So, yes, maybe this all seems rather insignificant, but it's absolutely massive for me. I know this forum isn't for my eating disorder babble, but I just thought it would be nice to share some good news for once. I'm scared, unsure, and overwhelmed...but I'm proud as well. And I just wanted to share my accomplishment with everyone -- even if they're not interested.

I'm getting healthy. Me! I know lots of people who said it would never happen. And maybe that's why this accomplishment feels so sweet.

Congratulations Alexah, it sounds as if you really know what direction you want your life to go in.

I think it's great that you can come on the forum and be honest about your illness and how much progress you have made.

You Go Girl!

Susan
rabbit_eating_carrot_md_clr.gif
hase.gif
bunny_thumping_foot_md_clr.gif
hase302.gif

Wow Alexah, this is a great accomplishment! I think it is awesome that you are willing to be so open on the forum to share your victory with this. It sounds like this whole eating disorder has been an uphill battle for you. It is great that you didn't give up and you pulled through. I wish you all the best. You continue on this road of health and success!

Shannon

There is nothing silly about it - congratulations. It is not an easy thing that you are going through and you sould be commended for the great strides you're making.

Well done, Alexah, you are right to be proud of yourself.

I used to suffer with eating disorders for a long time, and I know how tiring, time consuming and depressing the whole thing can be. Believe me, once you can see the light at the end of the tunnel, everything changes. I have been good for many years now, and having my life back is just amazing.

Keep up the good work - it is well worth it in the end :)

Jan

Way to go! You said something very important in your post that I actually needed to be reminded of today. You said you were planning for success. Planning for recovery and good health. That is awesome. I don't know much about eating disorders, but I do know that no one ever won thinking they would lose. (I just forget it at times)
You are doing great! :clapping:

WOOHOO! So cool! So were you having to gain or lose weight?

You should post some new pics of yourself girl! I bet you look awesome :biggrin2:. I remember the ones you posted in a thread on here once. I wanna see the new you!

Michelle

I had to gain, unfortunately. But it was a good thing.

As for pictures, I don't have any new ones of myself. I know I need to get some taken, but I'm not fully comfortable in my "new" body. Hopefully this will be a motivator for me though.

Thanks to everyone for all of your support, kind words, and pats on the back. I'm having a rough day today, but I want you all to know that everything you have shared has been appreciated.

I think you should be so proud of yourself well done, and let the joy of nearly reaching your trget weight drag you through the bad days.

Latest posts

Back