Can I change the hay in the nesting box yet?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanucksStar17

Reaction score
Ok I am new to rabbits. My first litter was born 2 and a half weeks ago. The hay in the nesting box is getting dirty, is it to early to change the hay in the nesting box?

At 2 and a half weeks old, your bunnies should be starting to venture out of the nestbox. When it gets to the point where they keep getting out and won't stay in there anymore, you clean the nest box out completely. Then you can turn it on it's side and put a pile of hay in the back corner, so that they can still all snuggle together in there. If they aren't trying to get out yet, you should clean it out. Try and keep as much of the clean dry fur as you can, then put fresh hay in there and hollow out an area at the back, and put the fur back in that hollow.

Welcome to the forum. Definitely clean out the nestbox asap. We pick out all the bloody and dirty hay as soon as they are born and continue to clean it as needed. It gets soiled pretty quickly so we regularly maintain it.

Yea, at 2 weeks you do need to clean out the wet hay/hair and replace with fresh. Try to keep as much of the clean hair to put back in the nest.

Latest posts

Back