Can fur coloration change?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jedichef222

Reaction score
I noticed a new darker spot on Nutmeg's back the other day. It's not dramatically darker than her fur in some other places, it just struck me since I hadn't noticed it before. She's a chocolate agouti, almost 4 months old. The buns were shedding a bit a couple weeks ago. I sortof pushed back the fur but couldn't see anything else unusual.

Can mini rex fur change color slightly like this as they develop? Is this most likely just a birthmark-type coloration or could there be another reason?

Sometimes my Standard Rex look darker/lighter in places as they moult, usually around the areas they are shedding most heavily. The colour can change slightly with age, but that's usually in much older rabbits. I did have an English cross baby that was born black though, then started going brown around 4 months. He ended up looking like a black that had had brown paint brushed over him!

My first bun (Teacup) is a mini rex also. She is an opal in coloration. I've never had her chang to a different color, but she does get lighter in the summer as she sheeds.:)

Mini Rex and Rex tend to change color when they molt. The darker fur is shorter than the molting fur. It should lighten up as the molt finishes.

Sharon

My Mini Lop doe Ramona - sadly no longer around - was a smoke grey in the winter with almost black markings on her ears and nose. Then in the spring she would start changing colour and in the summer she would be a sable colour but still with the same markings on her nose etc... It never ceased to amaze me.

My magic bunny, Mocha. He is dark chocolate tipped in the winter/when he sheds but turns a Mocha colour in the summer.

augmocha2.jpg

Latest posts

Back