Can Domestic & Wild Rabbit Breed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrea

Reaction score
I would like to know if a Domestic Rabbit can Breed with a Wild Rabbit?

I have a young female bunny I found. She we 'let free' by her previousowners, and ran about outside for over a month. There are many wildbunnies in my area. My young bunnny is now building a nest, pulling furand being a hormonal crazed bunny latley. So I would like to know if itis possible she could have become pregnent by a wild rabbit, or if notis she's just pretending.

Thank you.

Hi there Andrea:D how are u. by the sounds of itshe is pregnent I think only rabbits that cant bread with eachother is jack rabbits. and pet rabbits . they can bread but uget no babys I have a doe and she is pregnent and she is doing the samethingand she is due soon.I hope this has been ofsome help. if u need more help then send a message tomyprofileand good luck if she is pregnent:)

Nael:bunnydance:

To add to Stan_and_Jane's comments,

Our domestic rabbits are descendants of the wild European rabbit, sothey can successfully produce young by breeding with the wild rabbit ofthe UK, Europe and Australia.

Our domestic rabbit is a different species from the North Americancottontail. Scientific trials have not been able to produceviable offspring from the cross due to the different number ofchromosomes (the cells die after a few divisions).

Do keep in mind that there are scattered feral populations of domesticrabbits in North American that would be able to successfully produceyoung with an escaped domestic rabbit.

It is possible that your bunny is simply going through a nesting stageand may not be pregnant. Once 31 days has gone by from theday you caught her, you can be most likely assured that she is notpregnant.

Pam

Latest posts

Back