Can Chickens give rabbits any kind of diseases?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

belleshadow

Reaction score
I have many, what are called, "ground cages" or "field pens" which are basically bottomless pens that sit on the ground so that whatever animal is in it can eat the grass. These pens are used for either chickens or rabbits (they were made originally for the rabbits, and I don't really like it when they're used for the chickens, but there's nothing anyone can really do about that) and so we have a pen that is usually use for chicks whenever we first get them to give them time to grow and become big enough to join the rest of the chickens. But we have been getting a lot of rabbits lately and so we put a mother rabbit with her three week old kits in the old pen usually used for chickens (my sister put the rabbit with her babies in that pen and if she would have asked for my opinion I would have advised against it). Anyway recently all her kits died, and I was wondering if anyone knew of any disease they may have gotten from the cage, and if it is possible that the mother may have gotten the disease as well, and it simply hasn't affected her yet. If that is the case, does anyone know of anything I can give her to help her not get sick? Also I think it's important to say that this litter may have been weaker because while she was nursing a different litter she accidentally got pregnant with the litter that just died. Thanks.

I do not deworm my chickens, could rabbits get that worm from chickens?

Yes but asking as both are healthy you shouldn't have an issue keep vaccinations up to date and worming and mite spray up to date and it should all be fine :)

doe + three week old kits, put into a cage on the ground.

Kits could easily have died from eating anything that was in or on the ground.

chickens can give coccidia to rabbits BUT not the type endemic to chickens. Chickens carry rabbit coccidia on their feet if they are near rabbit manure. They jump on the cage and it falls into the rabbit cage or into their feed.

Latest posts

Back