Can cats give rabbits diseases???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laura331

Reaction score
Ok so a week ago I rescued this kitten from outside. She obviously has some sort of eye infection. The vet says she is about 10 weeks old. He didn't know whether the infection was bacterial or viral but he put her on some antibiotics and eye drops.
Anyway my question is if the infection is some sort of feline viral infection can she spread it to my rabbit.
I have been extremely careful about washing my hands after handling her and keeping them apart but if it is a viral infection then she is going to have it for the rest of her life and I need to know if I can ever have her and my bun in the same room.

Thank you so much for the help.

Keep the rabbit and cat separate, and keep washing your hands after handling the kitten. I am not sure if the kitten will spread the infection to your rabbit. Keep an eye on your rabbit though for signs of the infection. I am also not sure if the kitten will have the infection, if it is viral, for its entire life.

I'm not sure about viruses but I think lots of bacteria like staphylococcus, bordetella, and pasteurella can cause eye infections and could be transferred between animals.

Latest posts

Back