Can anyone tell me what kind of rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynda

Reaction score
bunny2.jpg

Haha! I just wanted to beat everyone! :D

Wait a minute? Is it a hotot mix? Those ears are colored. :?

It looks like a dwarf mix with some possiblewooled breed in the background, as it's got a rather fluffycoat. The eyebands don't look completely black -- it appearsto be a broken tan pattern or agouti color.

Many breeds can produce the markings similar to Hotots when the brokenenglish spotting gene is homozygous -- these lightly marked brokenpatterns are called "charlies". There are also purebredHotots that may have colored ears or other black markings on the body.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Manybreeds can produce the markings similar to Hotots when the brokenenglish spotting gene is homozygous -- these lightly marked brokenpatterns are called "charlies". There are also purebredHotots that may have colored ears or other black markings on the body.

Pam
Our Chippy has the same eye and ear markings in black. They also rundown her back and she's got a faint spot between her eyes and ears onboth sides.

One of her nicknames is now "Charlie" because of her markings.

:~) Jim

We had baby dwarf mixes at my store that lookedjust like that. I don't know what they were mixed with, Ithink the father was also a mix, but that's my guess.

He is darling!!

Jen

I'm not sure what the common name of that type of rabbit is, but I do know that the scientific name is: cutness maximus...

It's a very common catagory of rabbit.... nearly all rabbits fall into that scientific catagory.

Found this pic of what they say is a dwarf mix on bunnybunch.org

stormy.jpg

Looks like mine so I guess that's what I have.

Guy at pet store said he thinks it's 6-10 wks old

My son named it Snuggles

I'll trysexing tomorrow so I can stop calling this poor baby "it".

Thank you:)

It might be out of a dwarf hotot, but i know thatthere is a new breed in i think france that looks just like that--whitewith a "mottled" ear called a Lutterbach Ermine. OH no,wait! Lutterbachs don't have the eyeband.

I would say, now that i remember that little unimportant fact... (lol),that (like everyone else says:Dshe is a charlie out of abroken or dwarf Hotot.

And "dwarf cross" doesn't mean anything. The pet stores willcall any rabbit a dwarf if they don't know what it is, which isusually.

It looks to have Dwarf Hotot fur--no wool in it!

bumperbunny12 wrote:
It looks to have Dwarf Hotot fur--no wool in it!

The coat is actually a little long for Dwarf Hotot fur.You'll find that most rabbits that have a wooled rabbit in theirdistant background have a longer coat than normal (although not actualwool). The rabbit does resemble a broken Jersey Wooly cross-- Jersey Woolies have been become more popular due to their recentacceptance to the ARBA standard. The rabbit also has a "tanpattern" eyeband and ear, indicating a breed such a Netherland Dwarf orJersey Wooly in the background. Most Dwarf Hotots are blackbanded, and black banded Dwarf Hotots cannot produce a Tanpattern. Tan pattern rabbits can be produced when a DwarfHotots is bred to one though.

The Dwarf Hotot pattern can be replicated by crossing two "broken"pattern rabbits together, although there is usually color on otherparts of the body such as the ears. The genes that producethe unique Dwarf Hotot pattern are the combination of the Dutch markinggene and the English Spotting gene.

So, as a rabbit judge and breeder of purebred Dwarf Hotots for over 7years, I can tell you that the beautiful little bunny is most certainlynot a purebred Dwarf Hotot :)

Pam

Below is a photo of a classic "mismarked" DwarfHotot. It is a purebred, but this one is not showable due tothe black markings.

Latest posts

Back