Can anybody help give advice?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krb4paws

Reaction score
I have had Mason for almost ayear and I just wanted to make sure I am using all the right materials for him to make sure he is completely happy and in a good enviroment.

First, how much play time should a bunny have a day? How much space should I give him to play?
Second, I have him in an XL First Home Cage (has a deep plastic bottom with a wire top), he has aspen litter for beding, a food bowl fixed to the cage (he likes to dump it), a hay rack to keep the hay from sitting in his urine and poop, a big water bottle, and a toilet paper tube.
Third, I feed him a pellet food with little carrots in it because he refuses to eat any other brand (It's by Katee), timothy hay, and yogurt bites for treats (he goes nuts when I rattle the bag). Sometimes I will give him some parsley...the less leafy kind cause that's the only one he'll eat.

He doesn't really play with toys just chews the toilet paper tube, and it's hard to feed him anything healthy because he is super picky but if its sweet he doesn't hesitate. I keep his nails trimmed about every two weeks...is there any other hygeine habits I should be doing? Out of the stuff I have listed should I make any changes or does anybody have any recommendations? Thanks!

I try to give my bunny's atleast 4 hours out of their areas a day. My one bunny has the laundry room and the other has a huge nic cage area. Both have lots of boxes to climb in and cottontail cottages in their caged areas.

If it is possible for you to get your bunny a bigger cage area I would do it. I think the bigger the better. But if you have to stick with the cage you have, I would just make sure to give him lots of time out. I am kind of weird about how much space my rabbits have so my advice might be over the top there. But I would give him as much room and as much time out as you can.

I would try to limit the carrots in the pellet food. I would probably pick most of them out and just leave a few. Slowly decrease the amount in there. I give my buns a treat every day or two. So for me, the yogurt bites would be fine in moderation.

I think it sounds like you are doing a great job. And the picture of Mason in your avatar sure looks like a happy bunny to me!!

Sound like your doing a great job.

i would make sure the bedding is kiln dried if not loose that. I use yesterdays news and clean it every three days.

I would look into oxbow it might have to be a slow switch but kaytee is not a good brand he should also be on a timothy based pellet. Not alpha if his pellet is. Its the first or second ingredient on the back of the bag.

I feed zupreem personally and love it but oxbow is the easiest to find.

If he gerts alot of timeout of his cage I would say his cage is ok but you can also make nice size NIC cage for about 40 bucks.

Hope this helps:bunnydance:

IMG_0283.jpg

If you don't want to build a NIC cage you can put a Tall X-Pen around the cage. I have done this in the past to make the area bigger for the rabbits. In the picure it's the white gate I attched to the NIC cage. You could attach one to your cage, so the bunny has a larger area. You could probably use NIC panels to make a larger area, that would be cheaper.

I would not give yogurt treats. They are bad for your bunny. Too sugary. No fruit either. Too sugary for rabbits. Some peoplegive in small quanities, but I wouldn't personally.

I like to give my bunnies different hays to eat. Orchard grass, Botonical hay, Timothy,etc...

I would give variety of dark leafy greens. Here is a list.

http://rabbitmatch.org/sources/info/HappyRabbitGuide.pdf

Good Luck! :) April

Thanks! I appreciate all of the advice, and I love the big pen around the cage...great idea! I thought Kaytee was a good brand so I am glad you told me about that. Thanks again!

Sorry I found out how to get back on my account so I have two accounts one is krb4paws and the other is this one so I replied with my old one not thinking that I asked the question with the new one.. :)

^^^ Write to an admin to get them to combine your accounts (the people with red names.... ElfMommy, Pipp, Haley, etc.). Makes it less confusing ;)
The rationale behind no yogurt is that bunnies don't digest lactose well. You could go with a wide range of fruits instead (apples are cheaper :D)!

issyorabbit wrote:
how do u get an avartar?

Hey Issy, just saw your post asking about an avatar, can you ask that in the 'Chat About the Forum' section? THere are instructions there somewhere, somebody will get them for you and help you with it.

sas

Latest posts

Back