Can an ear infection be missed with only a visual exam?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the vet is only checking the blood for EC? Ask if she could do a CBC (complete blood panel) too. That should show the level of white blood cells which is an indicator of infection. I do think that ear infections might not be seen on a visual exam if they're really deep.

Don't feel bad if you have to get pushy. Some vets just aren't that familiar with head tilt.

If she's being snotty and thumping at you, it's probably a good sign.:)

On my receipt from the first vet appt it only says "EC". Usually when they havea blood test it will say "IDEXX Health Check Plus". I don't know why she wouldn't have done the full panel. She seems toalways do that for both the cats and rabbits.

Today I took her in for fluids from a tech so I didn't see the vet, but the tech was going back and forth with my questions and "suggestions". I thinkI made a mistake by asking for a cultureto check for an infection rather than a CBC. The vettold the tech there wasn't really a good spot to get a culture(?).

The tech came back with Baytril and I must have looked horrified :) and I think he was surprised thatI was opposed to it. I mentioned Zithromax because I hadn't seen Tonyshuman's most recent message. But when I mentioned Chloramphenicolit was him wholooked pretty horrified :) He talked about how dangerous it was for humans and you couldn't touch it, etc. I hadn't read about that closely enough to comment on how people from the forum administer it safely.

So in the end I left with the Baytril and PenG :( I think the vet herself will call me either this afternoon or Monday.

So...Should I even bother to press for Zithromax or is it a moot point because it won't work? Anyone know how Randy and JadeIcing administer the Chloramphenicol without killing themselves? (I'm being sarcastic that's how the tech made it sound.)

Cara

P.S.- They said her weight is holding steady and her temperature is normal. She's eating on her own and her eyes look fairly alert.

Haha...when I was at the vet I also went through the same thing :). I remember saying "I heard that Baytril was totally ineffective" and the vet got really offended! I mentioned Zithromax and she said that they would have to special order it, but if I really wanted it, we could come back and get some. Try the Baytril first though, she said.

In our experience, the Baytril did help. We were using it in combination with Pen G and it helped Ronnie on the three days where he was not getting injections. We never got around to requesting the special order of Zithromax because Ronnie started to improve with just the Pen G and Baytril.

Our prescription for Baytril was for two weeks only (2x per day) and it was just to help Ronnie out in the beginning stages when things were rough. After a while the Pen G was all he needed and I assume the Pen G was the major factor in fighting off his infection.

Ronnie did not like taking the Baytril because even though it was flavored, the flavoring did not mask the bad taste and he started to chew on everything and want a salt lick. You might notice this as well if you are giving Baytril.

cmh9023 wrote:
So...Should I even bother to press for Zithromax or is it a moot point because it won't work? Anyone know how Randy and JadeIcing administer the Chloramphenicol without killing themselves? (I'm being sarcastic that's how the tech made it sound.)

Cara

Don't ask me. I just syringe it. It has touched me and I am still alive. Not alot but a drop on my hand I ran and washed it off.

I did start using gloves.

Little Bay Poo wrote:

I mentioned Zithromax and she said that they would have to special order it, but if I really wanted it, we could come back and get some. Try the Baytril first though, she said.

Haha...That is EXACTLY what they said to me about the Zithromax..exactly!!

cmh9023 wrote:
On my receipt from the first vet appt it only says "EC". Usually when they havea blood test it will say "IDEXX Health Check Plus". I don't know why she wouldn't have done the full panel. She seems toalways do that for both the cats and rabbits.

Today I took her in for fluids from a tech so I didn't see the vet, but the tech was going back and forth with my questions and "suggestions". I thinkI made a mistake by asking for a cultureto check for an infection rather than a CBC. The vettold the tech there wasn't really a good spot to get a culture (?).

The tech came back with Baytril and I must have looked horrified :) and I think he was surprised thatI was opposed to it. I mentioned Zithromax because I hadn't seen Tonyshuman's most recent message. But when I mentioned Chloramphenicolit was him wholooked pretty horrified :) He talked about how dangerous it was for humans and you couldn't touch it, etc. I hadn't read about that closely enough to comment on how people from the forum administer it safely.

So in the end I left with the Baytril and PenG :( I think the vet herself will call me either this afternoon or Monday.

Cara

P.S.- They said her weight is holding steady and her temperature is normal. She's eating on her own and her eyes look fairly alert.

Pipp uses Chlorpalm (Chloramphenical) all the time.I used it as an opthalmic ointment.

All you have to do is buy a box of throwaway plastic gloves and use them every time you give it.I also got a little of the eye salve on me and I didn't have any effects but I tried to wash my hands well after using it.
The vets are probably afraid of being sued as it is not commonly used here in WIbut it is the only drug that saved Beau's life and eye.

Tell them you will sign a waiver releasing them from responsibility for you.

believe me a lot of people use it on this forum; you just have to use the gloves.

But I should be talking because I doubt that anyone in la X would give be chloramphenical . the vet in verona gave me the eye salve .

Randy doesn't think very much of baytril- bicillin combos but actually I have heard of that combination before.

Bah call it into a regular pharmacy. Also in a regular one they have the no name version and its cheaper. :p

cmh9023 wrote:
Little Bay Poo wrote:

I mentioned Zithromax and she said that they would have to special order it, but if I really wanted it, we could come back and get some. Try the Baytril first though, she said.

JadeIcing wrote:
Bah call it into a regular pharmacy. Also in a regular one they have the no name version and its cheaper. :p

cmh9023 wrote:
Little Bay Poo wrote:

I got zithromax(azithromycin) from Walgreens pharmacy after the vet called it in.

Latest posts

Back