Can an 8 week old and a 9 week old bond?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sadness. Comfort hugs to you. Did the vet do pre-surgical bloodwork or xrays or provide a reason as to why Frosty died in surgery? Were the boys seeing a rabbit-savvy DVM?

Had you thought about a necropsy?

Sadness and empathy.

I'm not too sure of all the details - it's my aunt and uncle's rabbit. I doubt any bloodwork was done (I'd never had bloodwork done when I got my buns neutered personally), and it was likely done at a regular Vets4Pets practice. My little cousin - who owned the rabbit, but her mum did most of the work, is devasted, but hopefully, her other two buns can keep her company :(

I'm not too sure of all the details - it's my aunt and uncle's rabbit. I doubt any bloodwork was done (I'd never had bloodwork done when I got my buns neutered personally), and it was likely done at a regular Vets4Pets practice. My little cousin - who owned the rabbit, but her mum did most of the work, is devasted, but hopefully, her other two buns can keep her company :(
So sorry to hea
So sorry that happened, especially being they were trying to do the right thing to help improve his life.
I'm so sorry to hear this. This is why I'm so nervous to get my baby neutered. It just makes me so nervous. He is just turning 4 months old now, but I love him more than I could ever have imagined loving a bunny. Its amazing how much he makes me smile throughout the day.

@Barbara yeah, it is very sad. I would say that it's just an unfortunate accident though. If you choose a good vet and make sure they're rabbit savvy, I'm sure he'll be okay. I've had two buns neutered and never had any problems! x

So sorry to hea

I'm so sorry to hear this. This is why I'm so nervous to get my baby neutered. It just makes me so nervous. He is just turning 4 months old now, but I love him more than I could ever have imagined loving a bunny. Its amazing how much he makes me smile throughout the day.

If your bun isn't exhibiting unwanted hormonal behaviors like humping and spraying, and you don't have any current plans to bond him with another fixed rabbit, there's usually no rush for having to get male rabbits neutered. They aren't as prone to reproductive cancer as female rabbits, so there isn't that pressing need. Really the only reason to get a lone male rabbit fixed is if the hormonal behaviors(and smell) are driving you nuts, which they most certainly can do. Otherwise, if I wasn't bonding then I wouldn't bother having a neuter done.

If you do decide to get him neutered and cost isn't an issue, find the most experienced rabbit vet you can. And if you get pre surgical blood work done, have a vet very experienced with intubating rabbits if it's determined intubation might be needed(was for a dwarf rabbit of mine), and have an IV in case of complications in surgery, these can all up the chances of a successful neuter.

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/opcare.html

If your bun isn't exhibiting unwanted hormonal behaviors like humping and spraying, and you don't have any current plans to bond him with another fixed rabbit, there's usually no rush for having to get male rabbits neutered. They aren't as prone to reproductive cancer as female rabbits, so there isn't that pressing need. Really the only reason to get a lone male rabbit fixed is if the hormonal behaviors(and smell) are driving you nuts, which they most certainly can do. Otherwise, if I wasn't bonding then I wouldn't bother having a neuter done.

If you do decide to get him neutered and cost isn't an issue, find the most experienced rabbit vet you can. And if you get pre surgical blood work done, have a vet very experienced with intubating rabbits if it's determined intubation might be needed(was for a dwarf rabbit of mine), and have an IV in case of complications in surgery, these can all up the chances of a successful neuter.

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/opcare.html
Yes, I think I'm going to wait and see how it goes. He is the sweetest thing so my fingers are crossed he stays like this anyway 😄

Back