Can a rabbit get depressed??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephanie

Reaction score
I just ask because Dave and I think Chompers is.Or sometime, he's acting weird lately. Basically he stays in the cageall the time, even though we keep the cage door opened from the time wewake up to the time we go to bed. The only time we can get him to comeout is when we give them treats.

I fear it's because we have three rabbits and he's the odd bun out.Abby and Valuran spend most of their time outside of the cage, playing,running around, and of course sleeping a lot. The rabbits all getalong, Abby grooms Chompers a lot, and Valuran and Chompy snuggletogether often too. But still, Chomps is almost isolating himself orsomething. I know it sounds silly but there it is.

Dave and I have both noticed this, so try to give him extra attention.He loves being pet, but I wonder if there is something else to do. Iknew the dynamics would change with a third bunny, but I didn't expectmy Chompy to be alone in the cage all day, every day.

Awwww thats sad. In my experince a catcan be depressed so i think a bunny could. Poor baby. With mycats they had to stay with my mil for a couple months and i visitedwhen i could but it was hard cause i wasnt driving then. Tigger theoldest got sick and i took her to the vet and they said that he bodywas starting to shut down cause she probably missed me toomuch. They gave her some medicene and we moved into our ownapartment really quickly after that.

If you take him out of his cage will he run around and play? I noticeRoger wont ever climb out of his cage, not even for food. but if i takehim out he will run around. I think he is afraid of the jumpout, even though its not far. In the morning he is the firstto remind me he hasnt been fed yet.I have tried to put hisfood outside of his cage and he wont come getit. Sometimes Luv trys to get in his andhe chases her out. Mine mine mine!! he says.

Hope you gets happy again soon.

Cristy

We don't want to force him out of the cage, so weintice him out with carrots and parsley and such. He usually goes rightback in as soon as he's done eating. He's always been a mellow rabbitand was never one to do a lot of running around. He did used to binky abit, and do some tearing around the house, but not at all anymore.

Last night he ventured out very briefly, but went right back into thecage. Maybe he's just content with that right now, but something justdoesn't sit right. I'm afraid he's feeling displaced now that we haveValuran, and Valuran and Abby are so close. Chompers went from being anonly bun (he had a very bad life before I rescued him), to being bondedwith Abby, to this.

Oh, poor Chompers. How about getting another bunto keep him company (only joking)! Seriously, I think several bunniesare being more lethargic at the moment - I know Lissa was saying Lenciwas, and I've noticed that Perry and Pernod aren't as energetic tillater in the day. I believe Pam said something about the lack ofdaylight hours affecting them. Could this be a reason chompers isquiet? - Jan

I totally understand where you're comingfrom. Lenci seems sort of depressed these days too.Perhaps the change of weather has something to do with their moodchanges. I too leave Lenci's door open and when she has fullrun of the house she sits in her corner by the fireplace the entiretime.

That is interesting, and makes sense. I know thateffects people too, and has effected me in the past. I wonder if thoseagro bulbs work, you know, the light bulbs you can put in your lampsand stuff for plants in the winter? It's very overcast here most of thetime and we aren't getting much for sunny days. Thankfully the dayswill start getting longer soonish, after winter solstice, which issoon. Not that we really notice that anytime soon though, right?

I can play with Abby and Valuran like that, butas soon as Chompy is done eating, he goes back in the cage. I think wejust have to do what we can, and give him loving like we have been andsee what happens. He's never been a bunny we could really play with, Ithink all that time stuck in the cage isolated in that garage didsomething to him. He's always LOVED attention though (not being held),so I've always been able to pet him and get him to do that clicklything with his teeth.

Know that they can get depressed because ofcomments I've read regarding the melancholy reaction(s) demonstrated bythe sole surviver of a bonded pair. Also know they can getdepressed by lack of any attention, to whit behavior exhibited byCarolyn's Fauna prior to Carolyn "rescuing" her emotionally and pullingher out of her disassociated shell.

Chompers' situation is neither of the above, and emanates, youthink,from the change wrought by the addition of Valuran intothe group. Carolyn has noted changes in Tucker, notnecessarily positive, since the arrival of both, Fauna and Cali, but Iwouldn't think she would characterize the changes asdepression. She'll have to respond to that situation.

When we had a bonded trio, onedoe, Mollie, was definitely thelast one in the hierarchy. She was often chased by the other,dominant doe, Millie. She often sat on the edge of the groupand was occasionally permitted to cuddle with the other two.She sometimes appeared sad to us.

When Millie died, Mollie justseemed to blossom into thisdynamic and sometimes very forceful personality. There wasnot doubtthat atransformation hadoccurred. She seemed to be a happier rabbit, in ourestimation.

Is there anything to indicate that Chompers has become the subordinateof the trio, subject to their whims and vagaries?R.M.Lockley's renowned behavioral study of rabbits, ThePrivate Life of the Rabbit, certainly portrays a rabbit's loss ofstatus within a group to be a traumatic experience. If youcan find a copy anywhere(out of print,hardcover or soft-cover), you maybe able to draw some comparisons of behavior described within there andthat exhibited by Chompers.

Similarly, a close look at The Language of Lagomorphs athttp://www.muridae.com/rabbits/rabbittalk.htmlmightprovide you with some clues as to what is going on.

Are you fairly certain there are no other "health" issues atwork? Those kinds of behaviors might indicate an illbunny. Food, poop, pee, water, fur, eyes, teeth allnormal. Pinks gums, not purplish? Any lumps, bumpsthat might suggest tumors? I'm just throwing out things thatoccur to me as I am typing. I do understand your concern.

Buck

Stephanie wrote:
I wonder if those agro bulbs work, you know, the light bulbs youcan put in your lamps and stuff for plants in the winter?

I think they do work nicely! Last year I attended a seminar on SeasonalAffective Disorder (SAD), which is basically winter depression. Thewoman giving the talk brought this sun lamp and turned it on, and Ialmost immediately noticed that I felt more chipper! It was amazing.

I think bunnies can definitely get depressed, since dogs, people, andother animals can. Try to spend more time cuddling, if your bunny likesthat, or put his cage in a place in the house where it's not stressfulbut he also can hear other voices.

I think all of this applies to Chompers,espcially the group dynamic of the three rabbits, as Buck mentioned.Dave commented the other night that he thought Valuran was the dominantbun, but I think it's still clearly Abby. I watch them constantly, andshe's like the hub of a wheel. Valuran is coming into his own, and Isee changes in him for the better,such as being more tolerant of uspetting him and such.

With Chompers, I have no idea. He was never a playful rabbit, but I wastold he was a baby. He was 2 1/2 when I got him a year ago. I'm notsure if he's just getting more mellow, or what. Like I said, he wasnever one to play toss, like Valuran and Abby, or even to chew a lot oncardboard. He's a digger though, and spends a lot of time doing that.

I am just worried that he's feeling displaced with Abby and Valuran.The only thing I can think ofdoing is giving him extraattention.

I agree, with what a lot of you have said here -my two are less active at the moment and are tending to be more sedate.Charlie just lies up against the radiator as soon as I let him out(which I'm sure can't be good for him) and Fern either sits in her cageor lies in her litter tray.

I've been buying them new toys lately to try to get them moreinterested in play - I found a cat treat ball in a pet shop - just aball with a hole in it that you can fill with treats. I fill it withfresh peas (Charlie has a calcium issue so can't eat anything withcalcium or oxalates ie most treats) and they fight over it, pushingeach other out of the way, picking it up and running away with it etc.It looks like they have fun! Maybe you could try getting Chomper andhis friends one?

Well, today bananas seemed to do the trick. Theydon't get them often for obvious reasons, but bananas have always beenChompy's favorite. Right now anything to make my boy happy!

Bo, we keep out the carrier, which he usually spends a lot of his timein either sleeping/digging. I'm thinking it's probably a bit ofeverything. Thankfully, Valuran is calming down a bit, and today I sawthe two of them all snuggled up, which was very cute. I think it couldbe having a male rabbit come into play and this newcomer taking overChomper's woman. lol

I am going to get some of those Agro bulbs too, for everyone in thehouse, including my plants. My rosemary plant is on it's way out, andmy corn plant is looking a bit unhappy too. Apartment faces East, sothere's not much to do about it.

Hi Stephanie! :)

Good to see you posting again.

Yes, they do get depressed. They certainly know how to let us know whenthey're happy and mad, sad enters into that picture too.

As Buck noted above, Fauna came to me in a state of mind where she'djust face the corner of the cage all day long. I'd open the cage doorand she would stay stuck in that corner as if she was glued there. Inthe beginning, I'd take her out, but she'd run right back to the cageand take her place facing the corner immediately. I stopped taking herout then and just opened the door and then spent time just petting andtalking to her. I'd sit there and pet her for a while.

After that a few times, when I'd go over to the cage, she'd hop to thedoor to come over to greet me. That was a lot of progress.

I stayed and pet her and made a big deal out of her saying hello bycooing her and giving her enthusiastic feedback. Then, I startednoticing that she wanted to come out, but hesitated. I encouraged herto come on down the ramp, and one day, when she did, you'd think sheclimbed Mt. Everest by my reaction. Happy talk to her and praising her,telling her what a good girl she was, etc. I couldn't entice her withtreats or toys because she didn't know what they were. She wouldn't gonear them.
Whenever she'd come out of the cage, I'd cheer her on, just as I didwith Tucker when I was litterbox training him and he'd go in the box. Ifind they respond really well to that upbeat, happy, talk. It was acouple of weeks before she was comfortable coming out and would do itwithout my provoking her. Now, she's my biggest piggers in that shesniffs out treats faster than the other two, and she's the first donewith desert when it's given. She never stays in her cage if she's giventhe option, but she does love her cage still. Sometimes she'll be outfor a while, but then she'll decide she wants a 10 minute nap in her'bedroom', so she'll hop up in there, take a nap, and then venture outagain. She never faces the corner of the cage anymore.

Tucker took a big turn in his personality as each new rabbit wasintroduced into the home. With Fauna, he ignored her quite a bit, butwithdrew from me. Eventually, he bonded with her naturally, and Iaccepted that I was the second fiddle, but Tucks would still come up tome and jump on my back if I'd lay on the floor and give me kisses.

He doesn't like having Cali here at all. It makes him very angry. For arabbit that used to hop into the cage when it was bedtime, now I haveto put him in a harness when he runs around because he won't let menear him. His time has been cut a bit because he will go after Cali, soI obviously must keep them separated. I really thought that with herbeing a girl, it would be okay, but it's not. I feel horrible about thechanges that have come about for him. I don't regret having adoptedFauna and Cali, but I do feel badly for Tucker because he, too, was allby himself for 3 years before the others came along.

He's paired up with Fauna and so he gets a lot of loving and cuddletime with her, but won't take anything from me unless he's in the cage.Tonight was the first time my little mon stayed at my feet since Calicame to live with us, which is now over a month ago. He nudged my feet,and sometimes he'll scratch at my jeans, but if I bend down to pet him,he's off like a bullet.

I'm just hoping that as time goes on, it will get easier and he'llaccept things better. In the meantime, Tucker's always been a sticklerfor teaching me patience, and here we go again. He's such a treasure tome and it really bothers me that he's so angry with the newarrangements, but we'll get through it. I hope and pray he can relax astime goes on.

I know a lot of people will say to others to get their rabbit acompanion, but in my case, it wasn't the right thing to do in hindsight- for Tucker's happiness. He was never a 'difficult' rabbit, and nowhe's the most stubborn little guy I've met. It breaks my heart when Isee him act the way he does and think back to when it was just him andI. We were so much closer, but it is what it is now and I'm just doingthe best I can to make him happy.

All I can say is that if Chompers is sad, do what your instincts aretelling you - a lot of extra attention - and get excited when he doescome out of the cage. They seem to really respond to positive talk, andfrom what I've learned in my experience, by talking to them, theyunderstand a lot more than you think.

Keep us posted. Chompers is a little love. He'll come around. It's hardon children when a 'new baby' comes into the house. I suspect thatrabbits really feel the change in dynamics and the household. It takestime, patience, and a lot of love - which is what you have.

-Carolyn

P.S. There's a 'medical checklist' that I listed in the "Topics you'dlike to see in future R.O. Magazine" in the top four posts on thisboard. Check it out and make sure that you're not seeing any of thosethings in Chompers.

I agree, they can get depressed. When I'm notquite with it and down, Spice definitely knows it. With Mocha I can'treally tell, but Spice's personality changes completely.

I've also recently noticed that Mocha goes off his food when he doesn'tget at least 15 minutes of my time for pats. Of course, I haven't saidanything to my parents because they don't understand and wont believeit.

Personally, it doesn't sound like a depressed rabbit. It may just be the season.

My baby-girl, Fauna, has been with me for 2years. I had gotten nudges and she came out of 'hiding' for me if youread this post, but tonight, she gave me kisses: many many kisses. Itwas the first time I've gotten them from her.

:tears2:

It was so worth the wait. God, I wish Buck was here to read this. Thenagain, with how strong of a presence he's been with me lately, he wasprobably the one that whispered it in her ear.

:star:

Thanks Buck

:kiss:

Gotta go call The Missus. :phone:

-Carolyn

How awesome is that!! YEA Carolyn!!!!! I have only gotten a rare kiss from Oreo, so they are a treat for sure!!

As for bunnies getting depressed, I truly believe they can/do...Hubbysaid the entire time I was in the hospital Corky didn't play at ALL inhis cage, and normally he's always throwing things around in there andin general making a HUGE raquet!

When I got home hubby brought him to me for a few and we had a lilcuddle time....he went back to his cage and right away started throwingthings around...hubby said...interesting...thats the first time I'veheard that in days!!

i think rabbits can get depressed. my Rue wasquite unhappy when i moved.(she no longer had the run of an apartmentto herself.)she didn'tbinkie for weeks.

Nicole

Oh Carolyn!!!!!

Congratulations on your kisses!

I rememebr someone saying to me once a long time ago ( okwell it seems a long time ago) that there is nothing like a bunny kiss,I think that's what it was Carolyn I will go back and read the postafter I say this to you.

And Yes Carolyn it was you who said that to me, and one of thethings that stuck with me when Buck passed was he once saidhe had never had a bunny kiss on his face. It amazed me. Anyway mypoint is that maybe Buck did whisper in Faunas ' ear, and he might ofasked her to kiss you so you can feel it because maybe he has now feltthem.

Either way cherish and love those kisses they are so very special and yes they would be definately worth the wait.

:rainbow::bunnydance::hug::jumpforjoy::dancing::bouquet::party:

editing to say Carolyn that it was exactly what you said to me,,,,,"there is nothing like bunny kisses" I remember being so happy andcompletely over joyed when Bindy first kissed me .

Jeannette and Ihave to spend alot oftime withour 6 bunnies andwe still have to dealwith alot of evil glares and stomping feet.We try to givethem all equal attention and love. It will be difficult forthe bunnies and myselfas Jeannette heads back to Englandina month toUni soI am exploring myoptions. Repositioning the cages so that they will be able tosocialize with each other during the day when I am at work. I am alsolooking into more toys and activites for the bunnies.

Latest posts

Back