can 2 neutered males be bonded?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hippie

Reaction score
hey guys

i was just wondering if anyone has had any success stories bonding 2 neutered males? i have a 12 week old netherland dwarf and am thinking of getting him a friend-would it be easier to bond while they are still young? my bunny at the moment is as yet un-neutered because he is too young but i am definitely planning on getting him done. could the two rabbits get along together in the meantime before they get neutered? any help would be great!

I would not try yet. 2 neutered males can get along if introduced property and get along. 2 intact males over about 2-3 months are just asking for trouble. This is the time when they do start to get hormonal. This can lead to fights and other issues. It is also good to avoid having a female as she could get pregnant and that is not good at a young age.

I would wait and get your rabbit neutered. Then look for either a rabbit that is already neutered or one that is old enough to be done. You could also get a younger one now and keep them apart until both are neutered.

I would also avoid getting a neutered male and trying to bond them before yours gets neutered. While this can work, the intact one is still hormonal and will try to hump and so some other behaviours that could annoy the neutered one.

Males are much more likely to fight in future even if neutered. That's not to say it won't work just that you're more likely to have a problem. I'd only recommend it if you've already got two single boys so nothing to lose by trying. As you've just got one bun, my recommendation would be to wait and have him neutered then introduce a girl. He'll probably be ready to neuter in a month so you won't have long to wait :)

Neutered males can find freindship in each other, but you will likely have an easier time, and get a closer bond, with a spayed female. Are you only considering a male?

thanks for all the advice-am definitely not just considering getting another male-it looks like a spayed female might be a better solution

Latest posts

Back