Calling all Bunny Guru's

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaspberrySwirl

Reaction score
Sebastian is 8months old now and near as I can figure on my bathroom scales, around 21/2 lbs.His ears are about 4" long and his eyes are about 13/4" apart...sorry, I don't know how else to tell you how big he is!If you look at the photos in the "Sebastian loves Raspberry"post you can tell how small he really is. He looks so small compared toChompers, Fauna, Fergi and most certainly Missy :shock:....Most of whatyou do see on him is hair. I just cut his hair yesterday and took 3"off the length and still left 1-1/2" on him!

Should he be bigger than this?

Raspberry

Not a bunny guru but I do know that Fergi justlooks large because of all of her fur. When I pet her she feels so bonyto me but she must be ok, her hair is shiny and her eye's are brightand she seems active enough. I think that a lot of bunnies don't meetup to their breed standards and are either to large or to little. Fergiweighs around four pounds give or take a little. I'm sure your littleguy is just fine, he's just going from the "smaller is cuter" angle!

Fergi's mom

2 1/2 pounds sounds healthy to me. Youshould buy one of those kitchen scales. Those work prettygood for weighing bunnies.

2 1/2 pounds is not unusual for hisbreed. Ideal weight is 3 lbs. for Hollands (and I believe heis a "fuzzy" Holland). He is on the small side, but certainlynot unusually small.

Pam

When the Holland Lops were first being bred, theEnglish Spot was introduced to produce the broken/butterflypattern. To fix the flyback fur that the English Spot broughtto the breed, Angoras were used to increase coat density.Introducing the recessive wooled gene still to this day results inHolland Lop lines occasionally producing wooled offspring.This is common in breeds that used wooled rabbits during theirdevelopment (Lops, New Zealands, Beverens for example).

American Fuzzy Lops were first developed by using the wooled Holland Lops.

I believe it was previously mentioned that Sebastian has normal furred siblings.

Pam

Glad Pamnock was tuned in. I wasn't sure of his breed.

-Carolyn

Wow... small! I mean I look at my baby and he'sbigger than Mocha! over 7 pounds and not fat by any means! Shesh, it'shard to believe I ever thought they were little. :?But soonCali will outweigh both mine added together! lol.

MyBunnyBoys,

You should see me trying to holdCali.

She snuggled into my neck this morning when it was time for her togo back in her cage after her morning romp through the apt.She doesn't even know she's The Beast that she is. BabyGirl!

-Carolyn

Thanks Pam! I won'tworry about his size then, unless he pulls a "Missy" and becomes agiant! Yes, Sebastian's siblings and his parents are normal furred andare easily twice his size as well! His fur is out of control! I was sohoping that after his baby coatwas shaved it might come backin tamed down, but I guess it isn't meant to be. He looks like one ofthose wool dusters on a stick! :shock:It's nearly impossibleto keep mats out of him, even with daily grooming. I trim his coatevery 2-3 weeks...Look at this picture of him and you can imaginetrying to comb out that cottonpuff!

kro11

then compare it to what's underneath!

kron9

Raspberry, you just had to do it, didn't ya :X.You just had to show my poor boy in his nakey state. Just when hethought we had all forgotten about it, his cruel mommy had to 'expose'him again. I think all bunnynappers should hot foot it to Kansas andrescue him :p. I mean, at 2 1/2 lbs, I could carry him all the way backhere to the UK. A wool duster on a stick, indeed :X:D- Jan

RaspberrySwirl wrote:
His fur isout of control!

Those soft coats are murder to groom and are actually adisqualification in the American Fuzzy Lop breed, which desire moreguard hairs making the coat easier to care for. I'd get asmall pair of embroidery scissors and cut his coat regularly.Thank goodness Sabatian ended up with you -- I've seen terriblyneglected, matted rabbits :X

Pam

pamnock wrote:
RaspberrySwirl wrote:
His fur isout of control!

I'd get a small pair of embroidery scissors and cut his coatregularly. Thank goodness Sebastian ended up with you -- I'veseen terribly neglected, matted rabbits :X

Pam
I think I go through a new pair eachmonth! Thank God he has such a good nature because sometimes he has tolay in my lap for 30-45 minutes at a time while I work on mats. Andthat's with regular grooming! It's very stressful actually because I'mall hunched over and tense, I'm always so aware that one stray snipcould cut his skin. I've never cut him yet, but I'm scared to deaththat I will. If I ever win the lottery I'm going to get aprofessionalbunny groomer!

Raspberry

RaspberrySwirl wrote:

If I ever win the lottery I'mgoing to get a professionalbunny groomer!

Raspberry

That would be my 14 year old son, Ryan :) He can shear anAngora in about 20 minutes, right down to the skin with those scissorsand not cut the rabbit. (A very matted rabbit takeslonger.) I suggest investing in a better pair of scissors(with a sharp tip)and a sharpener.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
That would be my 14 year old son, Ryan :) Hecan shear an Angora in about 20 minutes, right down to theskin with those scissors and not cut the rabbit.

Pam
Whoa! :shock:

Latest posts

Back