Call I had

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeniseJP

Reaction score
I had a call this week from someone looking for a Checkered Giant... for a five year old child. The caller explained that he/she spoke with three other people who suggested other breeds as Checkered Giants can be "mean." I know of people with young kids who showCheckered Giantswith parental supervision but as a first time rabbit for a first time bunny owner I only imagined a child expecting a "cuddly bunny" and actually dealing with a territorial, hormonal rabbit prior to getting it spayed or neutered.

I only could think of the big scratch on my face from Grace nailing me as I moved her to her new cage.... and Roxanne trying to box me as Imoved her babies to the nestbox... and judge Pam's injured arm from a Checkered Giant at a show....The person on the phone said initally they would get the rabbit neutered but then I was asked breeding questions and the red flag went up.

After explaining I had show bunnies and they were a handful for me at times, she asked more questions about different breeds she liked but I tried to gently suggest that a rabbit might not be the right pet for a five year old unless she did a little more research and gave her a list of House Rabbit Society readings and suggested she might want to find a rabbit show to go to, to see the different breeds in person and talk with breeders with experience in those breeds as it would be an interesting and good learning experience (I always found the breeders I spoke with very helpful).

Hope I was of some help to a rabbit out there who might end up in a home where one thing is expected and the rabbit has no idea he/she might be rehomed for just being a rabbit....

Denise

As a volunteer for a rescue we carefully screen requests for rabbits for small children.We do a home visit to check the environment and to educate the family. If there are any red flags we give the potential adopter thumbs down. If the parent is not willing to supervise the child we say no. Of course theyare free to goto a pet store or shelter that doesn't take the time to do all the appropriate checks.

pla725 wrote:
As a volunteer for a rescue we carefully screen requests for rabbits for small children.We do a home visit to check the environment and to educate the family. If there are any red flags we give the potential adopter thumbs down. If the parent is not willing to supervise the child we say no. Of course theyare free to goto a pet store or shelter that doesn't take the time to do all the appropriate checks.
Same here. Anyone who says they're adopting a rabbit "for their kid" is an automatic red flag at the rescue I volunteer with. Most of those people are, ultimately, turned down.

:Xoh the times i've turned up at the vet with the mark of the bun down my face and neck! all because lady roxy didnt want to go into the carrier. or the times she's not wanted a manicure..

at least you were able to educate these people:bunnydance:

I am hoping... glad to hear the input from the rescues, too - thank you.

The caller was insistent that she "had rabbits before" and "oh, I know about rabbits, just not Checkered Giants."

Years ago I sold a rabbit to a family and he was neutered, had the best of care, was an indoor bunny and I told the mom that rabbits do not "cuddle" as being in the arms and hands of a potential predator just doesn't wash with most buns.

She called two months later... the rabbit was great but he did not want to "sit" in her kids' laps to be petted. I reminded her about the personality of rabbits and I had given her House Rabbit Society articles but she had an expectation that the rabbit and I could not meet. She kept the bunny as the family loved him but she could not get past some image she had of a bunny snuggling with her kids.

I tried.

Cuddling? Nah. I want to see binkies, a bunny playing with toys and happily munching on parsley or begging for a Yogie treat.

Denise

DeniseJP wrote:
Cuddling? Nah. I want to see binkies, a bunny playing with toys and happily munching on parsley or begging for a Yogie treat.
Yes! I am so much happier seeing my bunch run the Bunny 500, dance across the living room floor, throw toys around, or beg for treats, than I ever would be if they just sat quietly in my lap. Don't get me wrong, it would be nice to get cuddles sometime, but seeing them run and dance makes my day!

We've got someone now who is wanting to adopt from us, but she requires a brown or brown/white lop who will be cuddly. Picky much?! We're trying to teach her more about rabbit personalities, but we'll see how it goes.

There are cuddly-ish rabbits out there... I've seen em. Some buns at the shelter'll just hop on your lap and demand petting. Actual cuddling is hard to screen for in a rabbit :p

Screening for understanding people as potential adopters? Much easier, but notalways foolproof unfortunately. I am fairly new with my rescue group but small children are a big concern for us and we make sure we fully disclose all the details of rabbit care and what are absolute must-dos so that they understand what THEY are signing up for, not the child. Ultimately the care of the rabbit needs to be the responsibility of the adult and we need them to agree on that, otherwise, I can't see the adoption happening. Along with it goes information about the unlikeness of "cuddliness" such unrabbity behavior.

All in all, good on you for saving some rabbit who might have otherwise been taken home under false assumptions.

Latest posts

Back