Californians never stop drinking

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StitchLover

Reaction score
My ag teacher bred her Californians back in February and after they had their kits they couldn't seem to stop drinking water. When we fill it up they sit there for 5 minutes just drinking it and only stop for air. Is this normal? All 3 of them had around 7 kits each. The 2 mommas seem fine otherwise.

We had Cal litters, one with 6 and one with 7, but I don't remember the does drinking that much water. They do need plenty of water so they can nurse all the kits though. I'd say that once the babies are weaned and if the does are still drinking that much water, I'd consult a vet. If they both seem otherwise healthy, I'd just wait since it sounds like they should be weaned soon. Are they being given a lot of hay to eat? That could make them thirsty also.

Are they getting enough calcium for the kits' bones to develop, either from alfalfa or adding carrot greens to their diet?

I would think kidney disease if only one doe were drinking insatiably, but that doesn't seem likely with 2. The only thing I could think of would be something unlikely, like putting hot pepper flakes in their food.

The 2 books I would recommend to your ag teacher are:
Rabbit Nutrition and Nutritional Healing, Lucile Moore
Rabbit Health in the 21st Century, Kathryn Smith

Latest posts

Back