Calici: To vaccinate or not

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azerane

Mod at Large
Reaction score
Wasn't sure if this was the correct spot for this but I wanted to get some opinions.

Up until today, I was 100% for getting my new bun vaccinated against Calici. However, after e-mailing the breeder I bought him from to enquire as to whether it had already been done, she said that she doesn't get any of her rabbits vaccinated because of the risk. I'm assuming the risk she means involves Bandit having a bad reaction to the injection. I got my last bunny vaccinated and never recalled him having a bad reaction. Thing is, the last thing I want is for Bandit to die from Calici, the horrible virus that it is. I suppose I should just talk to my vet about it to weigh the pros and cons.

I'm just wondering if anyone here who has had their rabbit vaccinated has resulted in a bad reaction, or worse. And how many people get it done and have no problem at all?

Thanks

I obviously don't know your breeder personally, but, as a vet student, I've heard way too many horror stories of things that bad breeders recommend to new pet owners. Everything from oh such-and-such a breed can only handle this type of anesthesia to "wolf-dog hybrids" are from the feline family and should get cat vaccines not dog vaccines.
Most of the members on this forum are from the US where the calicivirus that affects rabbits is not prevalent and therefore we do not vaccinate our rabbits in this country (same goes for Canada).
I'd definitely discuss the risks and benefits with your veterinarian. Vaccines are thoroughly tested for safety and efficacy before being released and while yes, occasionally pets do have reactions, I think in general the benefits well outweigh the risks.

That's what I was thinking. She certainly wasn't a bad breeder, I think her take on it comes from the fact that her rabbits are kept in an air conditioned shed, so they wouldn't get a great deal of exposure to mosquitoes, and she said she also burns mosquito coils to keep them away as an additional caution. It just surprised me that she said it. I've already got him booked into the vet for a check-up on wednesday, so I'll be sure to ask about it then and they'll know how often buns have bad reactions.

I would agree with Christina, breeders can sometimes not give the best info to new pet owners. I've heard so many things dog, cat and rabbit breeders have advised that just are not wise. This is nothing against breeders; there are many good rabbit breeders. But breeders are not veterinarians and don't have the same medical training; vaccines are tested and wouldn't be used if there was a super high risk. Plus, I don't think many breeders could really afford vaccinating all their bunnies, so if they haven't seen ill results of not vaccinating, then it would only make sense to advise the pet owner in the same way. It's kind of the same as taking your bunny for any surgery or any procedure, you need to know there's alway a risk involved and be aware that something could happen, but that doesn't neccersarily mean you shouldn't take the risk when the benefit can be so much higher.

My rabbit, Austin, died of calici on the operating table during desexing. He had the virus. I had no idea - got him vaccinated the day of surgery not knowing he was infected (he was 4 months old) but was too late he was already infected. It was hell the next few days waiting to see if my other buns were infected too...lucky they dodged a bullet. I think it is a huuuge risk not vaccinating. Its a horrible and painful way for them to go, they boil from inside out and bleed out, luckily Austin was under anesthetic and felt nothing. :(

I have to say I agree that vaccination is the best bet. I don't know what the exact incidence of bad reactions is, but since the disease is nearly 100% fatal, the disease is present in your area of the world, and the risk is probably 1 in 100 rabbits or less, I would get the vaccine.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I knew it wasn't worth not getting it, it just surprised me that someone would say not to. In any case, we took a little trip to the vet today and Bandit is now vaccinated. Kept an eye on her for a while after and she was happily eating away, so no obvious reactions several hours after, which is good.

Latest posts

Back