Calcified Kidney

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flashy

Reaction score
Rosie is Badger's wifey and today had a dental. They also did a spine x-ray because she came to me with spinal damage many months ago and we wanted to see what was going on (back then she was not well enough to have a GA, so we waited until she needed one).

The x-ray showed up that her right kidney is very calcified.

When the vet did the examination of her yesterday (I took her to the vets because she has been quiet for a few days and thought her back had gotten worse but wanted her teeth checked just in case) the vet found pain on the right side of the abdomen. At the time we put it down to gut issues from the teeth, but now I wonder if its the kidney, because Rosie has still been eating like a horse and her poos are all good.

Rosie has been on Metacam since she arrived in November and I know this causes a risk to the kidneys. I asked about Tramadol but my vet has not used it in rabbits before, although she said she would look into it if I wanted. Are there any other pain medications that may help? I don't want her spaced out. If she is alive, then she is alive to enjoy life, not pass it in a drug induced haze.

Rosie is bonded with Badger and given we face losing Badger imminently, I need to try and not have anything hugely invasive done to Rosie until she is over that- unless obviously she really needs it.

Rosie is the biggest last chance bunny I have ever had here. The RSPCA gave up on her and their vet said PTS. Her adopter couldn't cope with her and told me if I couldn't take her she would be PTS. She's been here and improving and happy since November and is a remarkable remarkable bunny.

Whatever is best for her, I will do. I just know nothing about kidneys!

In a tick I'm going to read the health section, but just wanted to get this out here now.

Thanks in advance.

I believe with the correct dosing, tramadol doesn't have to put them in a haze. It may take some trial and error to get it right. Also, sub-Q's would probably help. Kidneys are rather complicated organs that don't regenerate, so they're pretty much all or nothing, but sub-Q's could help, and some other medications like lasix and potassium citrate can be used. I can understand not wanting to put her through something big right now, so looking into controlling it with medicine is probably the best option right now.

Thanks Claire.

We discussed Sub Qs today and I'm going to be retaught how to do that again and we will use that to help.

We are also going to try and control her pain with buprenorphine because the vet feels that Tramadol would be virtually impossible to get an accurate dosing of. I'm going to try the buprenorphine to see if it doesn't space her out and go from there.

Her urea level is slightly elevated but her createnine (sp?) is a lot higher than it should be (I don't know any numbers or anything yet), which doesn't sound wonderful because it means the other kidney is struggling, so removal of the offending kidney is not an option.

Dare I ask, calcified kidney = EC? Someone said it did, but I didn't know.

She's three/four according to the info that was provided when she arrived at the RSPCA. So not really. She's some sort of dwarf lop cross.

Ah, ok. Didn't know that. I only presumed it wasn't that old because pur previous dwarf lops lived to 7 and 9 and Summer was as old as the hills.

We also don't know what she was crossed with, and the bunny she came in who was apparently her sister was PTS last December for kidney problems too, so there could have been a genetic element.

Thanks Pam.

EC can cause kidney damage, but it's in an early stage of the disease, and kidney damage is usually not very reversible. The calcification of the kidney itself can probably not be reversed, maybe some extra fluids or electrolyte balancing drugs could help, but it's my understanding that because the kidney is such a complex organ, it cannot regenerate itself very well.

My Muffin is about 4 and seems to be in good health, though she had bad treatment early in her life. I wouldn't assume Rosie's too old yet.

A lot of kidney/calcium metabolism issues seem to be mostly genetic and very difficult to correct. Getting enough water into her and out of her should be a priority, along with pain meds and maybe some electrolyte-balancing meds lie lasix.

Latest posts

Back