Cages size and temperatures.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachy1412

Reaction score
Every since Bunny died last November from Myxi Ihave been trying to persuade my parents to let my other two rabbitslive indoors, but with no luck. Our house isn't very big and we havealot of wires loose! Since it's been 4months I don't think that theyare going to budge. However, I thought of another idea. Could I keepthem indoors at night and then let me out in the garden during the day.That way they won't be running about the house 24/7 and I won't need tobunny proof everything. Would the temperature change be too much forthem? Night is the coldest part of the day so I thought it would bebest to keep them indoors at that time. I thought that I could keepthem indoors from 7pm-11am and that way they would be out running aboutfor 8hours.

Also space is a huge issue. I can only build a 2 leveled 3X3C&C Cage and their cage would have to go under my pigs cage.
cage.jpg

The pink is the first level and the red is the second level. The otherproblem is fleas. I believe Bunny caught Myxi from one of my catsfleas, he goes over to the field opposite my house which has wildrabbits in. I now treat both the cat and rabbits every month withadvantage.

I want them indoors 24/7 but I doubt my parents will ever budge. Doesthis sound like a bad plan? It's the only thing I can think of.Predators come out at night and at least they would be indoors, but Iam worried about the temperature change and how they would re act tobeing indoors. So would the constant change of temperature from goingoutside to inside cause them to get ill?

Thanks xx

How cold do your winters get? I'mworried that if your rabbits are indoors half the day and outdoors halfthe day, they won't grow a normal winter coat.

Could we help you with bunnyproofing some space inside the house? There's a lot of good info here:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12079&forum_id=17

I'm sure you already know about vaccinations. Have you donethis yet? IMO, since you've already had a case of myxi thanthe myxi vaccination is more important than VHD.

Our winters can get as cold as 30F. Both my tworabbits are now vaccinated agaisn't myxi. I didn't realize that Myxiwas still around! They are actually due for their shots next month.

I am not allowed my rabbits indoors at the moment, however my dad saidto me today that if I got a job then I could have them indoors! So I amnow busy searching for a job. If I take some pictures of our wires etc.then I would appreciate your help on how to bunny proof them!

Thanks! xx

well bunny proofing isnt as hard as it sounds.my wires are behind furnature and the furnature is push against thewall so bun cant get to it. and wires that are exposed i take someheavy duty aqurium hosing and feed the cords down them. they have tonsof other things at the hardware store that can be used to protect yourwires from bunny teeth. most important to remember is that if yourrabbit cant see the wires, she cant chew them.

As I am not able to have them indoors at themoment I could build them a cage in the shed. Would a C&C/NICcage in the shed be a bad idea? The shed is 10ft x 4ft. I could buildup to a 3x8 cubed cage in there but would it let in too much cold, evenif it is in the shed?

Latest posts

Back