Cages Question!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camarie

Reaction score
Ok well I am reserching cages for the flemish giants for when they get huge. Would large dog crates be my best bet? Anyone with flemish giants please tell me what u use.

I would say a dog exercise pen each would be best, unless you can find a really really large (length and width wise) dog crate. This could be a problem, since dog's are taller, large dog crates are mostly large height wise. So fining an appropriately sized Dog crate may be very difficult. If you do go with exercise pens, it's important to buy one with very high sides to prevent escaping.

I agree with Erika that I would worry about the length and width of a dog crate. They usually tend to get a lot taller but I am not sure how wide and long they would be. I would look online and see how big the actual floor room would be that they could use and go from there.

Good luck

You need to looking at a 4'x4' cage and around 2' tall, if with a closed top. If the top is open, then I would go with a 3' tall wall.

You might be able to get by with a 3'x4' pen, if the rabbit is allowed out for awhile to exercise.

Best bet might to have the NIC panels secured onto 2x2s and put the floor in on a bottom floor, Then you can work up to another 2' second story.

Look on my Bunny Barn pictures on Facebook and you can see what I've done with older bird cages for big birds and even ferret cages.

Jerry

Jerry in So IL wrote:
Look on my Bunny Barn pictures on Facebook and you can see what I've done with older bird cages for big birds and even ferret cages.

Jerry

Do you have a link? I am curious to see these.

I would use puppy pens or Neat Idea Cube cages/pens with tops. With the Neat Idea Cubes you can make it whatever dimensions you can fit in your space and add extra levels. For the flooring in either situation, you can use linoleum or indoor/outdoor carpet over plexiglass sheets to protect your floor.

Back