cages & bedding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy

Reaction score
Hi, This is my first post. I have 3 questions I hope someone can help me with...

1) I've seen cages for sale in my local pet store (I am in Canada) thathave clear plastic sides and a wire roof. I passed on this style andbought a traditional all-wire cage. But now, with the magnitude ofbedding (and poop) that gets kicked out of the cage and tracked ALLOVER THE HOUSE, I am starting to think the clear plastic cage wouldhave been better. Can anyone tell me if they use and like this style ofcage??

2) I recently bought a bag of Kaytee Aspen bedding that had very largeshavings, but since I have only been able to find Kaytee Aspen beddingwith small shavings (Kaytee cust svc still hasn't replied to my emailinquiry). The larger shavings work better for me. Can anyone help mefind brands that have big shavings?

3) Our rabbit is about 10 months old. How will I know when she needs to be fixed? So far she has shown no signs of changes.

Thanks, Amy

1. There is a problem with litter coming out inthe all wire cages, possibly you can like, put something around thebottom to help prevent it from coming out? The kind with the plasticbottoms... They sometimes get litter out also. If you litter box trainthe little guy that will help alot more with litter. Do you have a wirebottom, or is the litter just with the rabbit?

2.- Sorry, I don't know of any brands..

3. I think shes ready to be spayed now. Someone said 6 months? Was the average time. So anytime you can do it. :)

-I hope i helped some.

-Ashley

Thanks, Ashley for your reply. I have a plasticbottom cage with sides that are about 4" high. And my bunny is trainedto go in her litterbox. It's just that when she kicks around in thecage, the litter flies all over the place adn the kids track iteverywhere. I even find it in the car...

Maybe your rabbit doesn't like the litter allover the cage. I know some others here only put litter in the litterbox and have bare plastic floors, sometimes with grass mats or otherthings on them. Could you try having litter only in the litter box?

Also, maybe its the type of litter. I used to use aspen for hamsterswhen I was a kid. It always got everywhere, and they weren't even bigenough to kick it out of their cages. There are lots of types of rabbitsafe litter pellets and such made from processed wood or recycledpaper. Try shopping around for something that will be comfortable,fairly cheap, and won't travel everywhere.

Amy my Dutch is also litte box trained and heacts like a cat and kicks it every where, I put up cardboard on thesides where his litter box is and it cut down on the mess about75%. I have him in a wire bottom cage but the wire sits righton the shaving. I use a generic brand I get from my localbreeder which works great. As far as getting your bun fixed 6mths I believe is the age on up.

I use standard all wire cages that have droppingpans on the bottow of them, where the poop can fall through without themess. If it were me i'd hit up a local rabbit show some weekend andcheck out the cages the cage vendors have for sale at them. They arecheaper, and much better quality.

Don't click on the link, just copy and paste it :cool: Dunno why it doesn't work...:?

I would either create a lip or buy a cage with aplastic bottom. A cage with plastic sides and a wire roof doesn'tprovide enough ventilation.

1. I have a a bottom plastic cage -- heres some pictures
cage2.jpg

cage3.jpg

2. I dont know but I think you can find Carefresh, just about one ofthe best bedding, and i bet you can find some ina large bag ;)

3. You can get her fixed now, just dont wait till she is over 3 years old, most vets wont do it then.

I just really like my hutch. It ispine (I think) and wire mesh. It has a slide-out tray, whichis why I LOVE it! I didn't really like the wire with plasticbottom cages. Too hard to clean out. I am a neatfreak and I MUST wash the cages sometimes once a day. Atleast once every two days. :dude:

Thank you all for these suggestions. I didn'toriginally buy the cage with the plastic sides because I too wasworried about ventilation, although it was an entirely open, wire roof.
I do own a cage with a plastic bottom, as some of you have in yourphotographs, but the bedding is still all over the place. I have beenputting the bedding in the litterbox and lining the cage floor withabout an inch of it. And I have found the large shavings travel lessaround the house than the fine shavings.
So following the suggestion of one of the first replies, I only putbedding in the litterbox today when I cleaned the cage, none in thebottom of cage. Already much of the bedding has been kicked out of thelitterbox into the cage floor, but none has spilled onto my floor yet(my cage is on a low table, which I put on the floor when it's bunny'stime to roam).
Do any of you use litter other than shavings? And skip the beddingalthougher? We have had our bunny since Christmas and we're enjoyingher very much, but we too are neat freaks. The shavings are moreannoying than when she does little poops on the rug!
Amy

I use Carefresh. It's made from processed woodpulp, and it's really soft. I don't find too much of it outside thecage. Other popular litters here are Woody Pet and Yesterday's News.

Hi Amy, we buy our Apsen litter at Pet Smart,sometimes they have the larger. itter. We have found if youask a sales associate to go in the back stock room they usually comeback with the Aspen litter that is the larger pieces.

We have built two cages/condos out of the NIC cubes on the bottom ofthem we put ply wood, and then grass mats that they can chew.

We had all our three fixed at 6 months of age.

Soooska

Latest posts

Back