Cage too large, now I can't get him out. :)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsmeyers

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm new here, although I've been reading posts for awhile as a "lurker." We're relatively new rabbit owners (3 weeks about) and have a Holland Lop.

Here's my dilemma: He's an outdoor rabbit with a fabulous hutch he really seems to like. After a skittish first week, we started to find our groove with him and I could get him in and out of the hutch for daily exercise with no problems. However, we've had a spell of extremely hot and humid weather, so I bought a cage and he's living indoors until the weather cools off a bit. Problem? The cage is too big (I don't even want to know where I fall on the learning curve!). I can't reach the back corners. It's impossible for me to get him out of the cage without commotion/freaking him out unless he voluntarily sits by the door or hops out on his own. He came out ONCE on his own, but since then has only sniffed the platform I rigged up for him and won't come out again (the first time wasn't a traumatic experience, either, so who knows). It's less than a 6" drop he needs to clear, too. And he was able to hop back into the cage that one time on his own no problem. Although I admire his sense of self-preservation, I need him to get him in and out of the cage for practicality's sake. He seems happy as a clam in there, though. In fact, I'm kind of wondering if I should buy a smaller cage (once he's out of this one) and have him be an indoor rabbit. He seems THAT happy. :)

In desperation, I ordered a pair of J-clip removers so I can remove the J-clips and hinge the top of the cage and reach him from above, but until the J-clip remover arrives ... I'm out of ideas. I've tried luring him with treats, but he'll only stick his head out *so far* before he retreats. He's not afraid of me in general and does a lot of happy flops, relaxed body postures, grooming, etc. with me sitting in front of his open cage door. He loves being petted. I've tried opening the door, ignoring him and just sitting there in the play yard we rigged up outside the cage, but either I'm not interesting enough or he's not curious. :)

Would it be cruel of me if I made the cage smaller with some cardboard "false walls" while he's in the cage?

Thoughts?

Last edited:
You should make a small ramp so he can easily move in and out of the cage. I actually have a rabbit who prefers a small cage because he doesn't have to travel to get to his food, water and hay. He hates coming out in the exercise pen. If he doesn't want to come out also think about your approach he may be scared because your trying to "get him". I have 24" x24" x18" cages and all of my rabbit are happy in them(they binky all the time) So if you want a smaller cage its really up to you.

Also in trying to get him out, I would stop trying to get him out, he will get curious and see what your up to. If your rabbit wants to come out they will be at the front of the cages up on the hindlegs looking around. Most of my rabbits are at the front of the cage, they allow me to easily pick them up and put them in their exercise pen. I have others that just want to be left alone and will not come to the front of the cage no matter how hard I try.

No it wouldn't be cruel of you. The reason rabbits travel so much in the wild is because they are searching for their food, water, if they didn't travel as far as they did they would starve. Also they have to run from predators. Small cages that are clean, with a fresh supply of water, proper amount of food, and hay is perfectly fine for your rabbit. The rabbits have no need to run that much to survive.

Last edited:
Thank you, RabbitGirl. I should clarify: in the 3 days he's been indoors, I've only tried to "get" him once and that was when he was by the door. The door opening is about 12" square and I find it hard to get a good angle on him, so he hopped away and that was that. I've been down this road with him when we first got him and put him in the hutch, so I'm doing everything I can not to freak him out, i.e. not reaching for him and trying to get him out, etc.

He comes to the door of the cage to sniff things out, but is unwilling to go further, even with a ramp. The first and only time he came out of the cage on his own, I used a bin lid and towel to make a ramp and it worked ... but he hasn't wanted to try it since. I've now got a series of steps made out of boxes and towels that don't entice him, either. :)

I've read you shouldn't mess with their cages when they're in them, which is why I wonder if it would be cruel of me to put up false walls while he scurries around in his cage trying to avoid whatever it is I'm doing. :)

If your going to put in cardboards walls it would probably be easier and much safer if he was outside of the cage so you can easily move the cage to make it easier for you to put the dividers in. My doors are 12"x12" as well, if the cage is on the floor move it to a table you will have much better access to the cage. If I have a rabbit that absolutely refuses to come out i literally make my torso fit through the cage door and I get the rabbit out. If you don't have a grid bottom you can kind of push him out or slide him. It may seem mean but in all honesty its not.

If you want him running around outside of the cage put treats outside of his cage. Rabbits have an excellent sense of smell if you put some romaine lettuce on the first step second step and a little bit further, it can tempt him to come out. (Use his fav. treat) Make sure you let him taste what your giving him first. Once he is outside the cage you can work on getting the walls in, and you can pet him and just talk to him. Just love him up thats the easiest way to get a rabbit more friendlier in his cageafter he has been moved into a new environment.

Thank you! I was wondering if it was okay to stick my body in his cage if he just refuses to come out. I really don't want to send him to rabbit therapy. :) I'll try the romaine lettuce. He LOVES papaya tablets, but the bottle says to only give 1-2 a day. He likes carrots and carrot tops, too, but has rejected bananas, apples, parsley, dried banana Oxbow treats and timothy hay Oxbow treats. I swear, he's pickier than a toddler. :)

I will admit that as a new rabbit owner, I'm uncertain as to what extent I can "bother" him in his environment. I had it figured out with the hutch, but this cage has thrown me for another loop.

With rabbits you learn something new everyday! I've had them for 5 years and I still don't consider myself an experienced owner yet, since there is sooo much to learn about rabbits! I had a lot of experience with caging though since I went through my own problems with caging before lol!:)

No problem we all were in your shoes at one point! Haha there are days, with some rabbits, that I still am! :)

Progress! Sort of. He was sitting by the door, I petted him and then gently lifted him out. Told him what a great bunny he was, put him on the ground so we could spend some quality time together. He sniffed around for 30 seconds and leaped back into his cage and stomped his foot at me. He's a sweet rabbit and I have NO idea why he wants nothing to do with the floor. He loved being outside in the play yard when I'd let him out ... does he not like the floor? Oy vey.

When a rabbit thumps his foot it means he trying to alert you of danger. Maybe something around him made him think you and him were in danger so he ran back to be "safe" and then alerted you of a possible danger. When you take him out close the cage door and bring him in a separate room let him understand that you are his safe buddy and with you around nothing will happen to him. I guess its like you bonding with your rabbits. All of my rabbits have very close bonds to me, they all think I'm another rabbit for them, lol. They also feel the need to constantly groom me, haha. I like to lie on the floor and put my bunnies underneath my throat/chin (i have to hold my head up) and I give them chin pets, they absolutely love this and it makes them feel safe:)

Latest posts

Back