Cage sizes...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah its a bit different here in Australia, rather then taking a general degree and specializing, you choose what degree you want to take before you enroll, see which university will take you based on your ATAR and enroll. Then do a very specific series of classes and at the end you get your degree. For law I have to do work placement etc as well to become a registered lawyer, it's a good five more years study which is always fun. In Australia university is the actual institution, colleges are simply the residences.

It might be worth chatting to a local carpenter. I can't speak for Aus, but it the UK it often works out surprisingly cheap and sometimes more than buying a pre made cage.

If you want something non cage looking pre built, try investigating wooden childrens playhouses. We use them a lot outdoors in the UK but no reason you couldn't have one inside and paint the outside of it to look cool: http://www.therabbithouse.com/gallery/rabbit-playhouse.asp

They are much better sizes than hutches!

a law degree is something that you should be proud of...i think with ur initiative and preplanning ull figure out a way to build this bunny mansion ! you said urself u have given urself plenty of time...theres the internet for research and im sure u can rent tools in the land of oz somewhere right?...im looking forward to seeing and hearing of ur build:)

Tamsin those are kewl for sure..but what if u wanna keep ur bunny in the house...?.i guess u can build one of them IN the house but if u ever moved well ud have to explain to the next owner ..the playhouse comes IN the house..so u can keep a close eye on the kids while their playing..hehe..
i had a cat scratcher built for me once...it was all custom carpet coloring to match my sofa and it had 3 landing pods that shot up in 3 dif angles to the ceiling that the cats scurried up to....when i moved i couldnt get the thing out the door..i tried everything to get it out the door..we eventually dropped it off my 2nd floor patio down to 2 very unready guys..they ended up on their butts and my custom cat scratcher was in 3 pieces......hehe....goodtimes goodtimes.

Yeah there is that problem LOL.

I'm leaning towards just a simple but large pen set up. I can buy plywood at 4' x 8' pieces, so if I used one of those as the base it should make a decent sleeping pen...

I did have another question though, I'm fairly sure I want a giant, probably a British Giant, though I like French Lops as well... How high would the pen walls be to discourage jumping? since there inside it's not the end of the world if they did jump out, I'd just rather not make it easy for it....

lol that depends on the bunny. i've caught him jumping 4 feet out of the pen before, and my boyfriend scared him pretty good and he jumped almost up to my shoulders (i'm 5 foot 6 btw). it also depends on how lazy your bunny is and how bad he/she wants out lol. if it turns out that bunny loves jumpping, just get a bed sheet and some cloths pins and cover the top till another solution could be found. thats one reason i like NIC grids, i just had to add up for him to not jump out. it was interesting the first time he got out. i just woke up and fed him and i wait usually an hour before i bring him upstairs. i dont think he agreed cause i'm reading on the couch and he jumps up on the couch with me, when he should be in his pen... it was pretty funny. it took me 2 weeks to figure out how he was getting out lol

So I had a brain wave, while looking for something entirely different I stumbled across these-
http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/p/mesh-4-cube-modular-storage-silver/

I can get them in black or silver. So assuming they are still available in a years time, I'll get five packs of them. Color would depend on availability.

So I'll use a 240cm x 120cm piece of ply wood painted in a nice somber grey or maybe cream depending on the color scheme of the room. Then build a cage that is 6L x 3W x 3H grids, so that would make it about 220cm x 110 cm when using the connectors (which I would, prefer the stability). The front of the cage would be different though, as only the row of grids at either end would be mesh, the 4 x 3 section in the center would be built out of the normal grids, hence why color depend son their availability, it's an utter pain finding the things here in Aus. I'd definitely prefer silver. So then you could see bunny but bunny would have a nice looking enclosure...

But I think that would look quite nice and have a definite aesthetic quality. Would that be a large enough cage for a giant? in metric it would be 88" x 44" and 44" high....

those cubes that u saw are what most of us build our cages out of ..theres a whole poopload of pics in the housing section of this forum that are those grids with the connectors and we use zipties too.cuz those connectors are a pain in the patootie..we use the grids with the bigger holes tho so i can touch and feed a bun without having to open it up..i use those grids that u saw around the poopbox area so when i drop hay in their poopbox it doesnt come out of their cage and all over...but now that i think about it..the hay is still all over...hm..
and that cat box is kewl..good thing its sold out..hehe

ill measure how high my flemmies cages are..to get an idea..but not only do they jump but they can actually climb up it especially those grids ..and they could also get hurt doing it..so id try to avoid that at all cost.

what i was thinking was u can still get ideas from the pics ..those chrome ones are exactly the same as the cube ones we use(which LOOK like their plastic coated but not)u can look at dimensions and sizes of cages that people on here have already built..some of those people have giants too..

The breeder I found seems extremely nice, I really was starting to think British Giants were just some made up fairytale creature... LOL. This guy says he's intending to breed pearls, chinchillas, orange, agouti and red eyed whites. I'm not a fan of REW's (never have ben regardless of the animal) and probably not agouti, but oranges and chinchillas are gorgeous, still have yet to work out what a pearl is.

Because I'm a pest I had another question with caging. A lot of people seem to keep the giants in the largest size of dog crates-
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=52011&forum_id=1&highlight=Flemish+Crate

So I was wondering if I could keep a baby British in that, and assuming all goes to plan, he'd end up free range, and I could easily just bunny proof whatever room the crate was in... So if all doesn't go according to plan and I do have to keep him caged the majority of the time I could just look at purchasing a larger cage then? Obviously I'd get the 48" crate as well... Rather then a smaller version..

Th reason I'm thinking about a dog crate is that I came across some comments in another thread that hadn't even crossed my mind. Giants are big buns, with a lot of weight and strength behind them, standing up against the side of an NIC cage could easily topple it... And also the height needed to prevent jumping, would suggest a closed in cage....

Back