Cage Sizes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca

Reaction score
Me and my mum and dad have had an idea that dad can make decent rabbit cages and sell them.

I design them and dad makes them, we need to know what size the cage needs to be for a:
Small Rabbit
Medium Rabbit
Large Rabbit

So if anyone needs a rabbit cage get in touch with me and place your order!!
Obviously it would have to be in the UK and pick up only.
Would be nice to meet some of you.

Hey Becca,

That's a great idea for a business. Something I actually wanted to do myself, apart from the little problem that I can't build things :p

You will need to meet the RWA recommendations, otherwise the hutches will be too small. Off the top of my head it's 6ft by 2ft by 2.6 ft but I'm not sure on that. Maybe the RWA site might be worth having a look at. http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

Thanks Tracy - And YOU'VE GOT YOUR OLD ACCOUNT BACK :D YAY!

ETA: What do I click on to find the hutch sizes? :?

I found this by doing a search for Rabbit Hutch sizes "Rabbit Welfare Association' minimum hutch size of 5ft x 2ft x 2ft, for two small breed bunnies."

and this wage page might come in handy when u design them http://www.thingstobuild.com/plan_links_rabbithutches.html
i didn't read much of the page just scroll down to the bottom and there's some links.

Hope this helps
Rebecca

I agree ^^ absolute minimum of 5ft x 2ft x 2ft but the bigger the better obviously.:) Also having a double tiered hutch is a good way to add space. My Millie has a 6ft hutch over a 6 x 4 run and I love her setup. It works so well for her. Maybe something to consider if you do decide to go into this?

hutchruncombo.jpg

Aww great idea Becca! I hope it goes well! :) It will be great for people in your area to have better options than those appalling 4 foot and less hutches in pet shops.

I would say, personally, no smaller than 6x2x2 foot for a single hutch, 5x2x2 for a double, for a pair of small-medium rabbits. Bigger groups need more space, and larger buns need bigger, perhaps going into 3 foot depth. :) And hutch/run combos like Jess has are great too. :D

I've thought of doing that too but my dad is really busy so he can't make them for me.

I hope your buisness is good!

Aly!:)

All you UK members have the greatest hutches available to you. I've seen some fantastic double hutches that would be perfect for my fosters, but shipping would be prohibitive. I've searched and searched, but have not found anything I'm pleased with in the US. The double stacks I've found here are way too small.

slavetoabunny wrote:
All you UK members have the greatest hutches available to you. I've seen some fantastic double hutches that would be perfect for my fosters, but shipping would be prohibitive. I've searched and searched, but have not found anything I'm pleased with in the US. The double stacks I've found here are way too small.

Could you look into local woodworker shops? Sometimes they will do custom designs. I have seen some people around here made fabulous dog houses, that I am sure could make amazing hutches. You'd just need to jump in and help with the design :).

I'm not sure if you're thinking of making hutches or cages. I like the hutch sizes mentioned above.
For CAGE sizes, (indoors), I would say:
Small- 24"x24"
Medium-36"x30"
Large- 48"x30"
Those are really bare minimums. And it still depends, even that large size wouldn't be big enough for an english lop, french lop, or flemish giant, I don't think.

Also, just want to say that usually the smaller breeds are higher energy than the larger, so
they need just as big of a cage for them to be able to run around and play.

I guess it also depends on the rabbits personality, but alot of the big bunny's i've seen
are very mellow and don't move around very much, but the small ones are ALL over the place!

Just something to keep in mind :).

Phinnsmommy wrote:
Also, just want to say that usually the smaller breeds are higher energy than the larger, so
Very true. I have my Britannia Petite in a 24" x 48" and I consider that small for her. My other foster is in a 48" x 48". My own two girls live in a 5' x 8' pen.

slavetoabunny wrote:
Phinnsmommy wrote:
Very true. I have my Britannia Petite in a 24" x 48" and I consider that small for her. My other foster is in a 48" x 48". My own two girls live in a 5' x 8' pen.
Agreed.:) Like I said before I'd say the bare minimum for any rabbit (whatever the size) would be 5ft x 2ft (or equivalent) with a minimum hight of 20" as we know our bunnies like to stretch up!:)

I'm not trying to be rude or whatever, but I have gerbils and I wouldn't keep THEM in a tank 18" x 18" x 14". I can't imagine putting a bunny in a cage that small.

Teresa has a one high grid(14inches)...why?

_wsb_246x255_chibs.jpg

Because she is smaller than Chibi and he barely passes the top of one grid. Would I do that for just any bun? No but Teresa is older and not as active.

100_1567.jpg

100_1559.jpg

100_1560.jpg

delusional wrote:
I'm not trying to be rude or whatever, but I have gerbils and I wouldn't keep THEM in a tank 18" x 18" x 14". I can't imagine putting a bunny in a cage that small.
I agree with this 100%. That is much too small indoor or outdoor. :?

delusional wrote:

14" x 18" x 18" would be a fine cage for a small bunny, like a Polish. And, I did say "at least";);)

18" is 1 foot and 6 inches...how's that not big enough for a bunny? As long as it's 4x their size, they can stretch out every way and stand up perfectly without touching the top (which, like I said, would be a perfect cage for a Polish) that's fine. Of course, they would still have run time and all.

Emily

Latest posts

Back