Cage Size

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopntailrabbitry

Reaction score
Just out of curiousity I am just curious on cages size on the different breeds. Since I'm only currently breeding Holland Lops at this time. I just want to know what the cage sizes I should get for the follow breeds:

Holland Lops *just put the size anyway*

Mini Lops

American Fuzzy Lops

Dutch

Lionhead

Mini Rex

Netherland Dwarf

Jersey Wooly

Thanks

Hop N'Tail

I don't think breed makes a big difference on cage size for small-average breeds - other than you can knock (if you have to) 4-6" off height for breeds with lop ears. I wouldn't keep a Nethie in any thing significantly smaller than a dutch.

It partly depends on out time. A freerange rabbit could get away with a 3'x2' cage as a base. If it's ever going to get shut in then 4'x2' minimum. If it's going to spent most of the day enclosed 5-6'x2'. In all cases a minimum of a couple of hours in a bigger space.

For height, tall enough a rabbit can stretch up on tip toes, 20-24" usually.

Obviously, the bigger the better, you can't go too big. Rabbits are just that much more healthy when they have more space. Better muscle tone & bone density, more room for toys to prevent boredom and keep their behaviour better too.

Tam
Ps. I'm not familizar with fuzzy lop/jersey wooly breeds so I'm not sure how big they get. The sizes I quoted wiould fit the others you mentioned.

Don't forget you'll need larger cages for the pregant females/those raising young. The sizes I quoted are for single/pairs. For a female with a litter you'll need 6-8' cages. Possibly larger if it's a big litter.

I haven't breed myself but from general chatting with breeders they recommend picking one breed, two at the most, and sticking to that. I know it's difficult with so many lovely breeds to pick from but there is so much you need to learn for just one if you want to be a good breeder you need to focus. For example for Netherlands you need to learn about the dwarfing genetics, peanuts (deformed babies with the double dwarf genes) and how to avoid them, there there is the colour genetics and the overall type.

Tam

You can use the same cages that you are using for your Hollands on the other breeds with the exception of the Mini Lop. They need a little bigger cage.

Sharon

Actually yeah the cage is 36x24,and since I can put 2 rabbits in the cage it turns out to be 18x24. It's a really good decent cage for the Holland Lops. They enjoy it.

Here in the U.S. it must be different. I don't think that the ARBA has rules as to how biga cage must be. I personally use 24x30. That is just for dry does and bucks. I have hutches that does and litters go into when they start to jump out of the nestbox.

Sharon

Latest posts

Back