Cage Size Recommendation

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HareToday

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the site (and house rabbit ownership)!

I used to see specific recommendations about cage/pen size, such as 8sq ft minimum. Now I see more people saying as long as they can hop three times across the space, flop out, and stand all the way up it's good. Is there any concrete recommendation?

What I ordered will be 2' x 6' which should be enough space? Plus free run time, of course!

Hi and welcome to RO!
The usual recommendation around here is the biggest one you can afford that will fit in the space you have available. They should definitely be able to stretch out both horizontally and vertically, and you want them to have room to move around, but after that it really depends on how often they're getting out of their cage (and how big that space is). There are official, legal limits you can find that are written for rabbits in laboratory or production settings, but most pet owners find that those are too small when it comes to the stuff we also want to include (litter box, food and water dishes, toys, etc).
The dimensions you listed sound appropriate for a rabbit who also gets time out of the cage, as long as it's tall enough to stretch up.

Thank you for the reply! The cage is 24" tall and I have lionheads, so that should be more than enough height for them. We live in a one bedroom apartment, so cage space is limited, but they get free run of the whole place for most of the day as I stay at home.

Sounds like a great size cage :) I've got Bandit in a 5' 10" long cage, 2' 4" deep with two levels (one is 2' 4" tall, the other is 14" tall).

This should work well then, the cage has two levels that are 23" x17" which is a good size and I can always upgrade it to be twice as high and have two full 2' x 6' levels, that would be huge!

Latest posts

Back