Cage Size Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BreeNicole

Reaction score
Hello all!

After reading here, I've realized that my Dexter's cage is too small.. I currently live in a very small home. It's two bedroom, and my room (which Dex currently resides) is VERY VERY small. I don't exactly have the room for a HUGE cage at the moment, but I would like to get something that would suit him a little better.

He is a ten week old New Zealand.

What would the dimensions be for an appropriately sized cage?

Thanks in Advance!

-Bree & Dexter

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1404842202.653288.jpg

The minimum recommended size for the living space, e.g. hutch or cage, is 12 square feet (1.1 square meters), for example 6'x2' (1.8mx0.6m), with the addition of a larger area (32 sq. ft.) for exercise.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input! I've been looking into some cages. Any suggestions?
I've looked into building a NIC cage, just concerned since I don't have a whole lot of space to work with.

NIC cages are great for that exact reason. If you don't have a lot of space you can build the cage to fit the space. In this circumstance, if you're tight on space, my theory is to simply build/buy the biggest cage you can fit to the space. The good thing about NIC is that you can add levels and steps, doors in places that might be better suited to the tighter space, and even make them as corner units if it fits the space better. New Zealands are quite large rabbits, so the more space you can provide, all the better. If you can't fit a two grid wide NIC cage, I have seen people overlap the grids so that the cage is 1 1/2 grids wide, if that makes sense.

Alternatively, you might be able to fence off a section of the room with an x-pen to use as his "cage" so that it's not as bulky and in the way, but still keeps him secure (though you'd need a pretty tall one).

Back