Cage Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ellie

Reaction score
My bunny is very destructive. Gotta love him, but he ruins everything in his cage. :p I had cut up a cardboard box for him to sit in as a house. He kept moving it into the middle of the cage and taking up the whole thing... and then I put it up top, and he would just throw it down (like everything else in his cage.)
Eventually I took it out because he'd move it to the middle and couldn't get around it. I was going to just twist tie it to the side of his cage but that's where he likes to lay now so I don't want to ruin that for him.
What I have done now is thrown a towel over his "2nd floor" to give him a little privacy. I'm just wondering if this is okay? Also, should it be put over the whole top level or just the back part like I have it in this picture?

Photoon2012-06-26at14012.jpg

Also, I had nice flooring for his 2nd floor.. it's like yoga matt material so it would be nice and comfy. But, a few days ago he decided he wants to dig it up and eat it. I put a little carpet over top of it to stop him. But, is it a problem that all he has in his cage is carpet? His free time room is also carpet as well. I'm just afraid his feet will get tired of it or something. I have vinyl tiles under, but he was afraid of them as he'd slip around.
Also, do you see anything wrong with his cage? It's my first bunny / first cage so I'm worried I might have done something wrong.

Thanks so much :)

Hi there,
I have heard of some buns ingesting enough carpet and towel fibers to where it can be harmful. I think it's most dangerous if long strands come off and unfortunately that is exactly how most carpets and towels unravel so keep an eye on him.

As far as the bottom, we just did an NIC kit for our cage and the bottom is coroplast which is found at sign stores. OR I've read on here where people have used foam bottoms but wrapped them in shower curtains and tucked edges away so bunny can't get at them.

Your picture of your cage posted really, really small so I can't see much detail to comment there.

Sounds like your bun can be quite the chewer! :) I'm sure you will figure things out soon. It's trial and error half the time...each bun is so different. You'll probably get other insight on here too. Good luck!

Also wanted to say that bored bunnies are destructive bunnies. Try to see what "toys" interest him the most and provide those. Or rotate toys in and out so they seem new to him. Old phone books and pop boxes are a common favorite. Also, does he have a bunny proofed area to get out and play withmsupervision? Sometimes burning off some energy helps too.....

How big is the cardboard box? If it were just large enough for him to sit in, you might not have the problem if it's on the ground floor.

I'd suggest an old sheet rather than a towel.

Bunnies never like to have everything neat and tidy and where you have put it, i would have just left the cardboard box there and made another hole in it so he could have ran through it like a tunnel, as he obviously wanted it there, because bunnies never like where you put things in their cage, do they!? aha :)

But the towel on the first floor is good too, it 'll give him some privacy, and it's up high so it'll give him some privacy and he'll be able to watch everything better :)

1357rabbitlover wrote:
Bunnies never like to have everything neat and tidy and where you have put it, i would have just left the cardboard box there and made another hole in it so he could have ran through it like a tunnel, as he obviously wanted it there, because bunnies never like where you put things in their cage, do they!? aha :)

I actually thought this as well. I added an extra hole, but he still decided to use it more of a toy than a house and he would always just tip it over. :p
And it was a fairly big box, enough for him to lie comfortably in it.

And sorry for the small picture, here's a (hopefully) better sized one.

Photoon2012-06-26at14012-1.jpg

Thanks for all of your suggestions :) Do you think though that I should have it covering the WHOLE top floor or leave it with a bit out of the side like I have it in the picture?

I like it!! It might be a little crowded with all those toys (or at least I know Acacia would get very annoyed at it) but I like your cage!! I had to cover mine over completely on the top with cubes because Acacia used to jump out somehow! o.o

Thanks for the replies :) I have all those toys because he seems to be bored / chews a lot... he likes to chew on his cage and the locks that keep it shut.
I also try dividing them to the top part, but he likes to throw them down for some reason. :p

It looks great, I think it is fine with the blanket over part like it is. However, to be honest, I think overall it's a little small. Rabbit's are often active at times we're not so it's important they have space to move when they are confined to their cage. It looks like he'd only be able to do a couple of hops and I expect that maybe part of the reason behind his destructive behaviour: http://www.therabbithouse.com/behaviour/problem-rabbit-chewing-cage.asp

I'd recommend a minimum floor area of 12 square feet eg 3'x4' or 90cmx120cm - not including the shelf space.

Could you increase the number of grids? Or maybe attach a puppy pen? That would give you more room for toys and him more room to play.

Oh really? That's really good to know actually... I had always thought his cage was huge (especially compared to the size he was in in the pound... could barely lay down in it for 4 months.)

Think I'm going to add an extra level onto it - would that be adequate? The problem is is I'm returning to University in the fall and have a fairly small room so I can't have a huge cage taking up the whole thing. Although, I'm sure Buster would enjoy that. :rollseyes

Back