Cage problem?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shayna345

Reaction score
I'm not sure if there is anything I can do about this but Bam-Bam doesn't want to be in his cage at ALL, he's usually out all day and only goes in to eat and drink but when I have to put him to bed or put him in there for some other reason even if he's been out for hours when he goes back in there after he eats he doesn't want to stay in and he will destroy his cage trying to get out and he will bang on the side of the cage like a gorilla and go under his shelf and lift up the cage and knock his water down, it's not a small cage anymore either, I made him a run attached to his cage, and I'm still going to get him an even bigger one soon that he won't really be able bang on and knock everything everywhere, but until then why is he doing this? And can I do anything about it?

This is his cage now (this is JUST after I built it and before I put the cage roof on or put all his toys in)
KDWil.jpg
[/url][/img]

That's all signs of a bunny who wants his freedom. And a young bunny who's had so much taste of that freedom will do that. I found that out with my Kreacher. I did the same thing. Allowing them to run for hours at a time in a secure area. More for me to play with them, lol. Dobby wasn't too bad, but Kreacher would complain.

I had to break that habit. I reversed it on them. Only allowing them out for a bit so that they learned that they needed to feel secure in their crate. It hurt me to do it, but it did work. They feel secure in both their crate and their run inside and out. So that when I have to leave, there was no stress or complaining going back in. Well, just a little bit of complaining I should say.

I think it's great for "house" bunnies, but when they are youngsters it's really good to gradually build that time out. It does help in the long run.

Hope this helps.

K:)

The bunny is training you! You may want to secure everything better so that nothing can be knocked loose. Also may want to break up his time out til he becomes a better citizen. Even if he's not broken, you may want to get him "fixed".

Karen: Thank you! I had no idea letting him out so much would have caused this, I thought it would do the opposite! But I will be keeping him in there more often and lessening his play time

Larry: Thanks! I have put something under his shelf so he can't knock it off, not sure how to stop him from trying to lift the cage and spill the water yet though lol and I have been thinking about getting him fixed but, I've also been thinking a lot about breeding one day, so it's something I need to put a lot more thought into before I decide anything

Thank you both for your advice! :)

Oh dear... I am so glad I read this. I let Rue have the run of the place whenever I am home and only put her in her cage at night or when I am out.

She complains a little bit when I put her back in but now knowing it can get worse. I think I better nip this before it gets out of hand.

Back