Cage or free roaming?????

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Margarita

Reaction score
My bunny has her own bedroom which is basically open space with non slip flooring for her. She recently hurt her spine and is on cage rest for a couple of weeks. When she is all better i was debating on getting her a large cage for when I am at work so she doesn't hurt herself again. I'm torn because she has always been free roam and i would hate to have her in a cage, but it might be for her own safety. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

This is the cage I am looking into getting. it is x-large 46.9 L x 22.8 W x 24 H (bigger than the one below)

rabbit cage.jpg

I have that same cage (the xl) for my eight pound rabbit, Butterscotch, and he has plenty of room! In fact, I can even get inside it if I need to. I think she'll be perfectly content in there until she heals, because it's a rather roomy cage, believe me. :)

My dad built an outdoor hutch for Butterscotch and his sister Ellie, but frankly, they didn't have much room to move around. Though I'd rather have them in an xpen, Ellie is still healing from her spay surgery, and both of them need to figure out how to use the litter box, so the plastic bottomed cages are fantastic for easy clean up. Pippi is kinda ticked; I can tell she wants her cage back. Lol

I have a four pound dutch and we have always given her run of the house when myself or my boyfriend are home. She does have a cage for when neither of us are home, but also because we want her to have a "space" that is all hers and safe. She comes and goes as she pleases, but we never force her in or out. She's not always happy with us when we put up the door after she's in because we go somewhere, but less than two minutes later, she makes herself comfortable and never seems to mind. She knows it's "hers" so it makes her feel safe and that she will never be shut in for too long. It might be weird to change your rabbit's schedule a little, but she will learn to know what time you leave her in and if you work anything with regular hours, she will know to expect you home! They behave just like dogs that way!

thank you. i think i am going to get her the cage for her own safety. I have a feeling this injury is going to take months to heel to so would rather her be in a larger cage then be roaming free and hurting herself even more.

Yeah, it's a beast of a cage, but it's well made and if my fat Butterscotch can enjoy it, so can anyone else (except a Flemish giant) Butterscotch can stand and stretch as tall as he wants, and still not bump his head on the top. :) it's pretty fabulous, if you ask me.

We have 5 non-bonded rescues so they are out for 4 hours each day and one gets to stay out overnight. Used to have one that was free to roam but my dog broke my finger and had to go to doctor and when I got home she'd hurt herself to the point where I had to have her PTS. It was a very bad day as I couldn't afford the surgery and because of my surgery I couldn't have taken care of her--I was upset with the dog for quite awhile.

May I ask how your bunny hurt her spine? I don't mean to pry but my bunny has her own room and the floor is a bit slipper for her fuzzy feet. I worry about spine injuries. I'd like to lay down some sort of non slip flooring for her but everything I've seen looks like stuff she' d chew on.
I don't want to steal your thread but please if you have any advice that would be great.

She hurt her spine jumping off my bed and missing the matting I lay down for her on her floor. The floor in her room is all blankets and I have bought those foam kid matts also.

Back