Cage Options

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which would you pick?

• 2x2x2 +shelf in kitchen by window & family

• 3x2x2 +shelf in walk in closet

Results are only viewable after voting.

Happi Bun

Reaction score
[align=center]*Please read below before voting! Thanks*
[/align]
I'm debating about how to make a NIC cage for Dunkin. I already have enough cubes for a 2x2x2 (I'm not 100% positive), I would need to buy another box to build the 3x2x2 cage. Both would have a shelf. I can only fit a 2x2x2 in the kitchen which is by a window so he gets natural light and more attention. The 3x2x2 cage would need to go in his play room (which would take up playing space), it doesn't get natural light, and the door would be closed at night. Dunkin is a dwarf mix.

[align=center]:help

Example of 2x2x2 cage

2ed6_1.jpg

[/align]

i would say a 2x2 for one rabbit is fine, as long as the rabbit gets out everyday t hen there sho uldnt be a problem

I would pick the 2x2x2, for a couple of reasons:
1) he already has his own playroom, so I'm assuming he gets lots of time out of the cage?
2) the kitchen sounds like a much better place for a single bunny to live- without other bunny companions, he needs to be around the family and feel involved. Also, I don't think bunnies should be shut in dark places. I like how in the Kitchen he would get sunlight AND attention :) Makes for a much happier bunny, I'm sure!

Flashy wrote:
I would personally say the bigger the better.

Bigger cage in a room without alot of attention (I'm not saying he wouldnt get attention though ;) ) or smaller cage with alot of attention and sunglight?

I think smaller cage with alot of sunlight and interaction.

Luv-bunniz wrote:
Flashy wrote:

Bigger cage in a room without alot of attention (I'm not saying he wouldnt get attention though ;) ) or smaller cage with alot of attention and sunglight?

If it were me I would be looking for a compromise between the two :p

Flashy wrote:
Luv-bunniz wrote:
Flashy wrote:

If it were me I would be looking for a compromise between the two :p

LOL! :biggrin2:

Oh I so badly want to make the princess her own NIC "palace". I just don't have the money right now (hopefully all goes well with my interview on monday).

I think that abode is a decent size for your little guy. I've been trying to figure out my own plans for Floof's palace so all these threads about abodes are really helping me as well as the replies to them. I like the idea of the abode being in the kitchen beside the window as well even more so if he were able to look out the window.

I'd go for the 2x2 cage in the kitchen, but, I would (if you haven't already) go around and make a huge effort to bunny proof the kitchen and areas beyond where Dunkin could be allowed to roam, and leave the door to his cage open for as many hours as possible every day.

I agree that he needs to be somewhere with light and interaction, but like Flashy says, there needs to be a compromise here. It's best to have him where he can interact, but a 2x2 cage doesn't offer much room for exercise or engaging in normal rabbit activities like binkies and racing about.

NZminilops wrote:
I'd go for the 2x2 cage in the kitchen, but, I would (if you haven't already) go around and make a huge effort to bunny proof the kitchen and areas beyond where Dunkin could be allowed to roam, and leave the door to his cage open for as many hours as possible every day.

I agree that he needs to be somewhere with light and interaction, but like Flashy says, there needs to be a compromise here. It's best to have him where he can interact, but a 2x2 cage doesn't offer much room for exercise or engaging in normal rabbit activities like binkies and racing about.

Yes, I completely agree with this.

I personally think 2x2 is far too small unless he has many, many hours out a day, but I do agree that light and attention is very important.

Hmm... well Dunkin does go in his play room daily where he binkies and races about until his heart is content. The 2x2x2 cage would be a step up since it's as long but wider than the cage he is currently in and it would have a shelf. He is able to do binkies and run around in his current cage which like I said, doesnt' have a shelf and is a few inches less wide than a 2x2x2.

Of course I would love for him to have a bigger NIC cage (generally speaking bigger is better) but like others have mentioned, natural light and the mental stimulation of being by a window in a family room is a must. If he looks unhappy I could always give him more time in his play room and possibly just put him in his NIC cage when I'm not home or alseep. Since he is good about not chewing.

So I'm going to do the 2x2x2 and just go by how he feels. I think he will be very happy. :) There is a Tractor Supply Store near me, thanks for the tip!

The 2x2x2 is perfect!

I think the trade off between him being in the kitchen rather than having
an extra cube is worth it.

Plus, he gets run around time.

I'm sure he will be super happy. Be sure to post pics when your done :D.

Will do! :bunny24

I'm going to start on it as soon as I find a pan for the bottom. The rescue said they might have 30" x 30" one, so fingers crossed they do.

YAY!

Now, I made a floor 1 panel square up, with NIC and hardware cloth and then put his litterbox on that. That way he has a little cubby hole to hide in if he likes..... and then a tiny step up to come out, and then the level above. I used a panel thatas a support in the middle and his shelf isn't a full panel high. It's perfect! We really love this design and I'm going to be making Clover and Tony the same design soon. He has a door on the front and a door on the top of his cage.

Upper level, bed, food, door above food.

Bocagetoplevel.jpg

The front right is a flip up door with a clip to hold it when it's open. We only have to lift the front of his cage a tiny bit to open the door.

BoNewCage.jpg

Seems like a good way to make use of a small space. It's also convenient that the cage fits right into that store-bought pan.
Flynn had the same hay rack, but he kept pulling (or knocking?) it down and making a huge mess of hay outside the cage, so he doesn't have it anymore.

Bo loves his cage - he can lay in the top level and look out the window or not. LOL!

We are about to get a new hayrack. That one is a problem for us now. It's always getting knocked down and the hay has been falling from the bottom edge. Bo eats a TON of hay each day so I am thinking about making a rack from a nick panel. I just haven't figured out what I want yet for sure.

Currently I have Elvis and Wyatt in this. 5 long 1 wide and they run binky and stretch and stand. The whole nine yards.

100_2031.jpg

Connor, Elvis and Wyatt have had this one. An like above they still played alll the time.

100_9193.jpg

100_6902.jpg

100_6901.jpg

100_6898.jpg

100_6894.jpg

100_6893.jpg

Elvis is 5lbs, Wyatt 4lbs, and Connor is 3lbs. They are all 3 active boys. (Connor is now bonded with the other two)

I would be ok with the cage as long as they are getting alot of out time. Which Dunkin is. I would go for the cage in the kitchen.

Latest posts

Back