Cage Locks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SNM

Reaction score
So, ever since the neighborhood kids found out we raised rabbits. They love to come over and play with them. That's fine as long as I'm there supervising. Lately, they've been coming in our backyard without permission and opening cages and handling the bunnies all wrong(from what my dad says). Since I have moved ,and my sisters are in other activites nobody is at the house in the afternoon and my dad is scared of our darlings... haha

2 incidents this week. One kid took Christopher Robin and broughthim into his house without permission. Another left one of the cages open and let Lucy out, and she almost had a run in with a stray cat.

We're going to be moving them to the garage in a couple weeks,but I have to leave it open during the Summer and I have to leave them with a friend this Summer while I go on vacation. Are there locks specifically for rabbit cages and do you use them?

I have to use a lock on Humphreys cage. I do respite care occasionally and don't want them to get into his cage. I just use a regular lock from the store. And keep the keys in two separate places in case I lose one. I think any lock would be fine as long as it secures the cage properly.

I would also suggest talking to the children, and their parents. Stress the importance that they shouldn't be playing with the bunnies without someone there and permission.

Any lock would work as long as it can fit the cage. Don't go too cheap as kids could be resourceful and pick the lock, but really heavy duty ones aren't needed either.
You would need to decide if you want a key or combination lock. With keys you don't have to remember the combination, but you do have to remember where you put the keys. For combintaion, you do have to remember it and if the kids got the code it would be an issues, you can get ones that you can change the combination.

You really should talk with the kids and the parents. Tell them (especially the parents) what has been happening and be totally honest. Tell the kids that if they are coming over without you being there, that you will not let them come over at all. They really need to know the consequences of their actions. If they do take a rabbit off your property, that is theft and is no different than them stealing from the store.

Locks are good, but you do need to talk with them so they understand that they should not be going into your yard and touching the rabbit without your permission and you being there.

ditto to everyone above. gotta keep your bunnies safe. I used to tell my old neighbors that they had to contain their dogs sinc ethey came down an dwould litterally attck my rabbits and their cages on the hot days when I left the barn door open. THey chose to ignore me so i took the matter into my own hands

With key locks, wouldn't I have to buy and individual lock for each cage? I've already talked to the parents, the one that took Chris got an earful from his mom. thank goodness she brought him back.
If they don't listen to their parents, they won't listen to me. I just have to repeat myself and say Carmen(she's 10) does not count ,even though she knows what she's doing

I hear people use zip ties at fairs/shows/nationals to prevent anybody from going into the cages

Yeah, I was just going to suggest zip ties.

If the kids try to mess with the zip ties or cut them open, you could always make a call down and see whether a police officer might be able to come discuss the consequences of breaking into/stealing someone's property with them. It wouldn't have to be a "serious" call the first time, but they may be willing to come help scare the kids into ever trying that again. ;)

However, having the cages zip tied may just make the kids give up if they are otherwise good kids. Most wouldn't go to the extent of "breaking in", I wouldn't think. It's just that when cages are accessible, they figure it's ok.

I take it you have to many cages to make padlocks practical for each? You could run a chain through the whole lot (add eyelets if you need to attach them) and then just use one padlock. Should be able to get lengths of light chain from a DIY store.

tamsin wrote:
I take it you have to many cages to make padlocks practical for each? You could run a chain through the whole lot (add eyelets if you need to attach them) and then just use one padlock. Should be able to get lengths of light chain from a DIY store.
That is a fabulous idea, but the new cages we're getting are 3 tiers going vertical. I guess I would have to loop it vertical. Yeah, that should work. Thanks

Zip ties are easy to simply cut off though. All the kids would have to do is see them there, run home (or search) for scissors, and wala - they now have access to the cage.

I would simply talk with the kids & their parents and not allow them to handle them anymore. It's a liability waiting to happen, and really just not a good idea. If they get it into their heads that they can handle them, soon they'll start handling babies and possibly injuring kits, and even putting bucks and does together. It's just not something I would even risk dealing with, IMO. I'm surprised it hasn't gotten that far yet.

Maybe if some of the older children prove responsible enough, you could sell them a pet bunny? Do like a 2-week trial and see how it goes. Or let them help you with chores/cleaning cages, etc. and maybe they'll get bored with the care rabbits require and not bother coming over to see them anymore?

Could just be me though...I don't even allow my nieces/nephews/cousins in my rabbitry unless I'm with them. *shrug*

Emily

BlueCamasRabbitry wrote:
Zip ties are easy to simply cut off though. All the kids would have to do is see them there, run home (or search) for scissors, and wala - they now have access to the cage.

I would simply talk with the kids & their parents and not allow them to handle them anymore. It's a liability waiting to happen, and really just not a good idea. If they get it into their heads that they can handle them, soon they'll start handling babies and possibly injuring kits, and even putting bucks and does together. It's just not something I would even risk dealing with, IMO. I'm surprised it hasn't gotten that far yet.

Maybe if some of the older children prove responsible enough, you could sell them a pet bunny? Do like a 2-week trial and see how it goes. Or let them help you with chores/cleaning cages, etc. and maybe they'll get bored with the care rabbits require and not bother coming over to see them anymore?

Could just be me though...I don't even allow my nieces/nephews/cousins in my rabbitry unless I'm with them. *shrug*

Emily
Agreed.
..and if that does not work you might just have to lock them in your garage, or buy padlocks.

Latest posts

Back