Cage Lining?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaddysRabbits

Reaction score
I am making a NIC cage. I don't want to use fleece, my rabbits are diggers. Is tile good? I would have a big litter box, & Tons of scrap fleece for them, Also, Im going to be making them beds (like a cat bed kind of) So it'd be tile, a litter box (with aspen i think) then little peices of fleece they can dig in and be on (if the tile gets chilly), and a nice cozy fleece bed they can sleep in:)
What do you think?

Any tile or plastic flooring will work well.:D I wouldn't worry about fleece too much now. They will 'meatloaf' and keep warm;).
Best of luck with your new cage!

I have fleece for the base of Noelle's cage, and tile for the shelf. I do think I'll have to cover up the tile though because she always slips on it.

We use rubber mat from a roll at the Hardware store for our NIC levels. About $7.00. Easy to clean in case of an accident and much more non slip than tile. Alona has a pet bed on top of the mat on one level and an old bath matt on the bottom level. Good she does not chew. I think the mat would hold up to digging.

hi, i use tiles in part of my one of my rabbits cage.. it works good, its rough and he doesnt slip on it, make sure to get the roughest one you can!

I have used fleece in part of the cage, but he chewed fibres, it clogged his stomach and he got v.ill.. so becareful with the fleece, he used to love diging in it like your rabbits!

Peepers is coroplast with a fleece overtop, but really you could used pretty much anything..Jenny is a digger as well, her pen is just bare floor(a vinyle type flooring, I got a textured design for grip) and her shelves are coroplast with fabric clipped over it to prevent her from digging it off.

I cut a wood board slightly smaller then the cage, then used peel and stick tile over it. Easy clean and the cage fits firmly right over the top.

I would personally use something with more grip than tile. It may work for some bunnies, but I'd be afraid of them spooking, slipping, and injuring themselves. They don't have pads or anything on their feet like cats or dogs so they really have no grip if their nails are kept short. Something like a rubber mat or welcome mats or something may work well...or even a roll of short carpet might work. Even if they dig in it, as long as they're not eating it, it should be ok. :)

Ours is a mildly textured lino on the bottom. I'd thought of tiles, especially as they could be nice and cool in the summer. I didn't as I was concerned if they had accidents and it got into the grout it might retain enough scent trace to make them continue going there even if it smells clean to human noses.

I also have cuddlebeds, bunny-rugs, seagrass mats etc so there's plenty of soft places in their cages to curl up and they're out the rest of the time where they have their choice of cushions, rugs etc.

I use coroplast with cardboard put down for traction. Plus they love chewing the cardboard. :)

I also buy the seagrass or grass mats to put down too, on top of the cardboard.

Back