Cage Help With Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you put anything up to stop the pee from getting out?

• Yes. I out up (type answer)

• No. But you can try (type answer)

• No i don't use anything

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ashley B

Reaction score
Hey Everyone! SO i've had my rabbit for about 7 months now and One problem keeps coming up. I have my bunny on a table and when by bunny pee's it comes out of the cage. I have this a wire flooring in the cage and wire litter box. the litter box is in the far left corner. When my bunny pee's it comes out of the cage. My mom said that if it happens again my bunny is going outside and here in Wisconsin it can get pretty cold. So here are my questions.

-How do i make sure the pee doesn't get outside the cage?
-How do i clean up the pee from the carpet?
-And if my bunny has to go outside how do i keep him warm?
:?
Thanks,
Ashley

moz-screenshot.png
moz-screenshot-1.png

Try using a tarp or something to put under the cage. That way at least any pee won't end up on the floor. Make sure it is bigger than the cage.
You can buy (usually have to order them) or make some urine guards. These go around the edge of the cage to keep the pee inside. They are usually made of metal or plastic. You could try coroplast and cut it so it will fit around the cage and zip tie it in place. It will be easy to clean and should be easy enough to find.
A different cage might be a good idea. One with higher sides and no wire. This could keep any bedding and pee inside the cage even if it ends up out of the litter box.

For cleaning the carpet, try white vinegar. Spray it on the spot and give it a bit of a scrub. Soak it up with paper towel. You may need to do it a couple times to get the stain fully out. You can also put products that get urine out of carpet. Steam cleaning can also be good.

i have an absorbing yoga mat its really good, acts like a heat pad too my bunnies love it i love it too specially as it just wipes clean!

My bun is litter trained but the litter box has wire over it so everything falls though my bunny only uses one corner on the litter box and thats the one place it can get out. ):

If he's using a litter box, but the pee is getting out, it sounds like he needs a bigger litter box or one with taller sides.

As for cleaning pee, mix vinegar and water 50:50 and wipe down the area/soak it up with some paper tower.

Hope that helps!

Rue

My bunny uses only one corner like that and we have the same problem. I put a large disposable aluminum pan under that area and it protects the floor. It needs cleaning off with the hose every now and then but it's a lot easier than cleaning the floor.

Houdini tends to over shoot his box too. I have seen him IN the box but pee right over the edge, which sounds like the same issue. For a litter box I use a large rubbermaid under the bed plastic thing. I use the lid up on its side to stop pee from going that way, I use another lid to stop it from going off the short side. He tends to use the corner so I protect both sides. I then put a puppy wee pad under the box to catch anything that dribbles off the lids. I wipe down the lids with a clorox wipe and change the pee pad once a week since he doesn't do it every time.

It would be a good idea to get a little box that has high sides. When he sits on the mesh in the little box, are the sides of the box high enough that his bum cant hang over the side? If not, there's your problem.

I have a big cat litter tray and in the bottom I place 2 sheets of newspaper, then a scoop of breeder's choice cat litter to soak up the mess, then another piece of newspaper with hay on top.

I had to do it this way because Rocky likes to tear up news paper and will eat anything that resembles a pellet. All of this can be composted which is great for reducing non-degradable rubbish in land fill.

Take a look at a cheapo shop or 2, they always have cat little trays :) If you cant find one you can go for a large cheap food container also.

Sounds like a lot of effort but its better than having the little one outside. It is more expensive having him outside as you will have to build or buy something sturdy enough to keep out the cold.

Latest posts

Back