Cage flooring question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NDrAbBiTs58041

Reaction score
So Im making a NIC cage out of the wire grids that I have saw ALOT out of and got some ideas from. However, Im seeing alot of cages that people are using for flooring is wood flooring that they have as flooring already. In my case this is NOT an opption at all! Is there any other ideas I can use for flooring? I will be having the cage on my carpet and however Thumper is not litter trained yet so I dont want dropping or pee on my carpet. I have saw some people just use towels or blanekts as the floor but ? is, is that how do I keep it there? Right now I have a towel under Thumpers hut and she carries it all over in her cage. Any suggestings wouldhelp thank you!

Depending on how big her cage is, just have a blanket that is bigger than the cage (so that it overlaps outside of the cage) and then weight it down with something heavy. Make sure to layer newspaper under that as well to soak up a lot of the wetness. But honestly that's a big mess; keep your fingers crossed that she will become litter trained soon!

thankx I got a post out there how and whats the easiest way to potty train. I bought mats (foam mats that you put together) for flooring see if this will work. That way if she does poo and pee hopefully it will be easier to clean up...but yes Im going to try the litter box thing

When I had guinea pigs I had a C&C cage (cube grid wire & coroplast). The bottom for the cage was made out of coroplast that I cut to fit. It was pretty much a giant plastic, leak-proof pan with walls (perfect if you have carpet). The cage itself would sit outside of the pan. I also made a ramp, a 2nd level, & a hay rack out of the leftover supplies I had.

I lined the bottom of the pan with layers of towels then I put a large fleece blanket on top of the towels... that way the pee would go right through the fleece (you have to wash/dry the fleece a certain way for it to wick), making it stay dry. To keep the blanket on I would use binder clips to clip it to the sides of the pan. My g-pigs could not dig, pull, or get under the blanket this way, but I don't know if it would work with rabbits, as they are bigger & stronger.

I would wash/dry the towels & blankets 1-2 times a week along with "spot" cleaning every day.

After almost 2 years of constantly cleaning that cage I decided to sell my pigs because honestly, it was just way too much work. I loved them, but it was too much.

I don't know who poops & pees more, guinea pigs or rabbits! lol But considering the fact that you can litter train a rabbit, maybe it would be a lot less work than it is with the g-pigs. I've seen people use this same kind of cage for rabbits, except they either made it really tall or they closed it in.

Here's a pic of my C&C cage...

My Cage

Latest posts

Back