Cage dilemma. NIC to Xpen.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should I do?

• Put up with NIC cage.

• Find a way to stabilize the x-pen.

Results are only viewable after voting.

mardigraskisses

Reaction score
I have THIS x-pen. I really like it because it's so easy to assemble (I just tried modifying my NIC cage and it turned into a huge, frustrating mess in a matter of minutes. I had to completely tear the thing down and put Bayou in the x-pen until I calm down. :grumpy:) Anyway, it's easy to assemble but it's not big enough. So I'm going to buy another one because you can put them together to add more space. BUT, the reason I built an NIC cage was because of another problem I have with the pen. Bayou grabs the bars and then pushes the pen all over the place.

Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but he'll push the pen off the plastic mat I have him on and onto the carpet which becomes his dinner.

Long story short, I love this x-pen and want to expand it, but I need a way to stabilize it so he can't move it onto the carpet.

Any ideas? I'm sorry if this is confusing.:(

I have the same x-pen. I loved it when I used it. Can you buy some cement blocks to put a few around the pen so he can't move it?

Edit: I don't know what to vote for, cause I love my NIC cages but not everyone likes them. LOl

SweetSassy wrote:
I have the same x-pen. I loved it when I used it. Can you buy some cement blocks to put a few around the pen so he can't move it?

Edit: I don't know what to vote for, cause I love my NIC cages but not everyone likes them. LOl
I did like the NIC cage because of the size and versatility, it's just a pain in the butt sometimes. I think the x-pen looks better though.

Gah, if he didn't chew up the carpet he could just be free range and we wouldn't have this problem. :grumpy:

Use the x-pen then and find something heavy to put around the bottom. I use blocks. I go to Lowe's. Good Luck. :biggrin2:

EDIT: I also have coroplast under the cages.

i would use the xpen...their a lot easier to clean. I ended up using the NIC panels to build a xpen like thing

I love the x pen easy to move clean etc .Dont have this problem with my bun but i think the idea of using blocks to stop it being pushed about maybe after time he`d give up anyway ? and you could remove the blocks.Also you could also cover the blocks in material stop them rubbing or marking the floor?

I found a solution! Half NIC cage, half x-pen, thanks to a member of another forum I visit. Dear god, what has science done.

"If you got a second one and attached it, you'd have a total of 16 panels. To make it immovable for the bun, you could arrange it in a square or rectangle shape and reinforce the corners with a couple NIC grids ziptied at the bottom."

Right now it looks a little ghetto because it's a white cage with black NIC grids zip tied to it with hot pink zip ties, but once I get some money I'll get white grids and white zip ties.

:bunnydance:

IMG_0283.jpg

That's what i use to do. I don't use the x-pen anymore. But I still use it(X-pen) for other things. Here's a pic of when I attached it to my NICcage. :)

I know you said one was too small, but you can actually buy like an undercover mat for those that will help keep the wires in place and will certainly keep it off the carpet. Maybe you could get two of those and attach the pens that way?

OR you can do it the way you already said. I just thought I would throw that out there in case you didnt want to do any zip tying.

Stick with the x-pen! Like others have suggested put somthing like patio stones or bricks around the bottom.

Latest posts

Back