Cage design

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nose_twitch

Reaction score
Hi all,

Could you tell me what your experience has been with cage design as farwhether to build it taller or wider? I'm designing a cage tobuild for JJ, and I'm not sure quite how to do it. The CagesOnly thread helped me out, but I'm still not sure.

JJ likes to jump quite a bit, but I'm not sure if he would jump fourstories or whatever. Any thoughts are appreciated.Thanks!

Mandi :bunnydance:

I've always held the thought (for the year I'vehad buns, that is) that if you've got a jumper, higher isbetter...whereas if you have a bun that isn't much of a jumper (like myMaisie), wider is better.

So, on that note, your JJ would probably prefer taller. :)

Of course, given my year of bun experience, I certainly don't considermyself an expert, but that's just what I've thought on the subject,because at one time I debated this with myself, as well. :)

Hugs!

Rosie*

I think if I had to choose. I would do tall and alot of floor time.

best of both worlds

I think wider is better in general, althoughtall is nice for some rabbits. I do like having a nice sizedshelf for them to jump on. But with wider cages, it's easierto fit larger toys in.:D

wider is generally better because the bunny has more space to run but you could add some sort of sheving if JJ likes to jump:)

I have two identicalNIC cages whichare 4 levels high. My bunny Layla loves high places and always sleepson the very top level. She loves observing everything that is happeningfrom her lookout point.

My bunny Rodney is not much of a climber and he never uses his 4thlevel at all. So I guess like someothers have said, if yourbun likes to hang out in high places, then I would think he would enjoya tall cage.

How wide were you thinking of making the cage if it were a tall design?

Wow, that's good to know that your jumper willactually jump 4 stories...cool! I do think I want to make itrather tall, then. As far as how wide I want it, I'm thinkinglike 3 square feet... but i'm still not sure.

Good luck with building your cage! I'm sure JJ will love it. :)

Mine is 2 by 3 NIC squares wide and is very stable despite being 4 levels high. I can take a picture of it if you like.

I would go with wider,i think the cages more han1 story high can be dangerous.the rabbit could fall and break aleg.rabbits have very fragile bones.bluebird

I think that would depend on how the cage isbuilt. My cage has ramps and is designed in a way that the rabbitscannot fallfrom anywhere.

I do not have open shelves they could fallfrom.Everylevel in the cageis completelyclosed apart from one square on each floor, which has a ramp they useto climb up to the next level. I have cut NIC cubes in half diagonallyand attached these to the sides of the ramps, so my rabbits can't evenfall off the side of a ramp when running around at top speed.

Latest posts

Back