Cage bedding?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EiuGirl316

Reaction score
I don't know if I want to call what I put at the bottom of the cage bedding, but it was the best description I could think of. Now I currently put newspaper at the bottom of Finnegan's cage for the times when he is actually in his cage (he's only usually in there when I'm sleeping or working). I clean his cage, and the newspaper is ripped apart literally 2 days later.

Can anyone recommend anything besides newspaper and carefresh that I could put in the bottom of his cage that he couldn't rip up? I know he's a bun, he likes to rip newspaper apart so that's why I need a recommendation for what to put down.

Thanks RO people! :D

This thread might help you with some suggestions.

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=28946&forum_id=1

Why do you need bedding? is he inside or outside? is he toilet trained?

i love fleece with mine (the indoor ones) and they love it too. but you have to be careful they don't eat it. they do dig it, btu it doesn't matter. the outsiders get newspaper, which they dig, but im not fussed if they do.

All four of my buns are litter trained. They have compressed wood pellets in their litter boxes and no bedding in the rest of the cage. Their cage bottom is covered in linoelum, and I put a few grass matts for sitting/chewing on, but for the most part they don't care.

--Dawn

He's an indoor bunny. I just have coroplast on the bottom of the cage at the moment so I want something else that will give my carpet a little more protection plus I want to throw the coroplast out. I have used fleece, but he ruined it pretty quickly. He rips up newspaper. I guess I want something that will lay on the bottom of his "cage" that he can't rip up and that will save my carpet. :)

He is normally litter trained. He's been peeing in random places around the carpet so I want to protect the carpet, and I need to get him back in the litter training mode. Any tips on that by the way?

Just curious, why are you going to throw out the coroplast?

How old is he and is he neutered? Does he only pee in random spots when outside of his cage? You could add a litter box outside of the cage for when he's out, put some of his poos in it so it smells like him;).

EiuGirl316 wrote
Can anyone recommend anything besides newspaper and carefresh that I could put in the bottom of his cage that he couldn't rip up? I know he's a bun, he likes to rip newspaper apart so that's why I need a recommendation for what to put down.
The upper level of Scone's cage is an old table leaf with a terrycloth towel stapled to it.

scone1721.jpg

If your bun doesn't chew cloth, that works quite well. I actually use two old bathtowels that reached the end of their useful life. Every month or so, I pull the staples and replace the towel in his cage with the backup. I run the first towel through the washing machine, and put it away for the next swap.

Both Bob and Zosia are litter trained. They both go in one spot in their cage (even though they are out of their cage all day). At the pet shop, I found liners that go on the bottom of the cage. I like them b/c they also absorb the urine smell! Bob never chewed. Zosia used to, but I guess she grew tired of that. On top of the liner, I have wood chips. On the side where they urinate/poo, there is an oven liner, with a cookie cooler rack on top of that,and carefresh.

It seems to work really well for us!:)

Latest posts

Back