Cage Aggression

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Bracon~

Reaction score
Ok so most you no that I took in Bugs, my friends unwanted rabbit. She told me that he was very aggressive but since he's been here he's been fine.

This morning I was feeding him and gave him a little stroak, which he seems to enjoy, that out of no were he squeeked and went for my hand. I havn't stroaked him since as it obviously stressed him out.

The only thing I can think of is the cage, I swapped it to one of mine when he came and maybe he's got used to it now and considers it "his"

Any idea's and tips?

That could be it, that he's now seeing it as "his" house, he wouldn't have when he was first put in that cage. I have had that happen with one or two of my rescues before.

I've noticed with alot of neglected rabbits, they are cage aggressive.

Maybe because it's pretty much all they have?

Is he neutered? It could be partly hormones aswell.

No he's not neutered, I no when I have him done he'll be a lot calmer, but theres no room in the house now since we got the puppy, thats why I thought maybe its best to wait till it gets a bit warmer , although there in a shed its still not as warm as the house. What do you all think?:?

It sounds like he's just being territorial. Most likely because of hormones and not knowing you well, so he sees you as a intruder.

Try to avoid reaching into his territory.. and possibly bringing a small treat when you go into his cage so he doesn't feel as threatened. Try letting him have out time while you cleanhis cage. Also try staying by the door so he can come to you, rather than reaching in and petting him :).

Pebbles used to be VERY cage aggressive.. still a bit.. but spaying really helped her. I just try to avoid situations where she might feel threatened by me invading her territory.

My does sometimes do the same thing out of nowhere. My mini rex doe, Lily has always had cage agression, so it's almost impossible to break her of this habit. Basically she lunges when you reach in to fill her food dish, and sometimes she will throw things when I move them around;

He's just basically saying that he wantshis space left alone and he doesn't want you in it.

I know a lot of bunnies will be terroritorial (sp?) and that's their nature, but it gets worse when they're not fixed, etc. especially when they have some wants....(breeding...lol).

As for fixing it, maybe everytime you open his cage and he's good (no bad behaviour at all) you can give him a treat, and if he takes the treat nastily or trys and knocks it out of your hand then you remove your hand from the cage and give him a little time alone.

Other than this, I'm not sure what else you may be able to do.

Emily

Edited to add: haha, I just read that Spring had written basically the same thing as I did, lol.

Back