Bye bye, Chantal.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preitler

Loony bunny guy
Reaction score
Sigh...

After a long struggle, ups and downs that went on for half a year, Chantal finally died, at just 6 years of age. A week before christmas she had her last stasis episode, but perked up considerable and looked as ok as could be expected. This spring/summer I brought her to the vet because she acted - wiered, hyperactive, digging to exhaustion like there's no tomorrow, etc., Vet saw someting around her ovaries, a growth or so, but before I could consider options EC struck and almost killed her. It took many vet visits and almost 2 months until she was able to move around well enough, manage ramps again, but she wasn't her former self, some head tilt and weight loss remained.
Chantal 2023-2.jpg
So I was at home for christmas, 2h away, just with my mother who had spent 2 months at my sisters in the US after dad died, now in that big, empty house (the dogs stayed in the US). My sister arrived on the 27th, I planned to go back home 28th, in the morning the mom of the teen who cares for my rabbits called that Chantal died, and her daughter was in tears, I guess that's one of the worst things that can happen when you care for someone elses animals. Did my best to console and reassure her, that she does a great job and that is just life happening.

I'll miss Chantal, she was a quirky character, knew her name well, was very inventive when it came to finding ways to get to my buck, everyone in the neighbourhood knew her from me looking for her, over and over again, or because she spent quite some time lounging at the front gate right next to the street, admiring my boy through the gate. Acted like she didn't have any worry in the world, when drinking some beers at my neigbours she came over to check what's going on (she didn't bother much if I intended to let her out of the fence, she found ways). At first I thought she was a little skittish, but that quickly vanished as soon. She never bothered much about hierachy, or Ruths attempts to discuss that :D. She got her name from a stereotype character in a famous german comedy movie, "**** you Göthe" (its a harmless comedy, really)

She was a great mom, perfect intstincts. Actualy, she was a little overachiever there - I think half her litters were not planned by me. She also built the most ridiculous nesting tunnels, had to dig up a nest once, 2m long tunnel, half a meter deep.

Her mother, Magda, didn't get old either, died at 7. I hope that isn't something in her line. Now I still have her daughter Ruth (5) and a 7 month old granddaughter, still unnamed, as breeding does. And then there's still Red, unrelated, getting 10yo soon, and in pretty good health again, all 3 live together. And there are my two house bunnies, Pacino and Dotty, and the newest addition to my herd, Hansi.
Ruth will miss her too, I think.

I buried her next to her mom, Magda, and her dad, Herr Hase. This is the 5th grave in my little pet cemetery under the walnut tree.

Attachments

• Chantal 19-07-2019.jpg
    Chantal 19-07-2019.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Chantal 2023-1.jpg
    Chantal 2023-1.jpg
    490.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Chantal Nest1.jpg
    Chantal Nest1.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Magda und Chantal 2018.JPG
    Magda und Chantal 2018.JPG
    235.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Out grazing 2021.jpg
    Out grazing 2021.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Ruth and Chantal 2021.jpg
    Ruth and Chantal 2021.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Ruth, Chantal 2020.JPG
    Ruth, Chantal 2020.JPG
    557.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Who cares.. 2023.jpg
    Who cares.. 2023.jpg
    353.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Bye bye, Chantal.JPG
    Bye bye, Chantal.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
She sounds like she was quite an interesting and adventurous bun. It's always such a hard thing to lose them.
Binky free little bun 🐇🌈

So sorry for your loss. Our 1st bunny passed at 6--she had stasis issues a few times too. Our oldest was a couple weeks short of 19. A couple of our sweet buns never made it past 3 and did not show a single sign of any problem--it just sometimes happens that way. We try to remember the good times and all the happy memories they left us with.

Back