Buzzing and Broken Hearts

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nelson_is_mine

Reaction score
Big One and Little One have yet to be sexed as it's been nearly impossible to get them into the vets. There were unreturned phone calls and random abscenses and cancellations, but I have full confidence in the appointment on the 14th because it is at a different vet. I've tried sexing them a few times on my own but I'm intimidated. There's so much fur down there and I can't part it to look before the struggles become to urgent to ignore.

Today while I was watching them during their play time, I noticed Little One buzzing at Big One. I know that it's a sign of affection (Nelson buzzes at me) but also one of courtship, correct? I watched further. Little One proceeded to lick at the back of Big One's legs and tail, which sent her (I've been referring to Big One as a her) binkying away, returning to ask to be groomed. This caused Little One to buzz and lick at her back and tail again. There was no mounting, but this seemed reson enough to seperate them. I can't take any chances, as I'm worried about finding both of them a home together, let alone homes for babies.

It broke my heart to see them, faces reaching for each other through the cage (they are about an inch and a half apart), and yet unable to touch. They've spent pretty much their whole lives together and it makes me sad to see them apart, even if it's for the common good. It would make me feel better if everyone assured me that it was for the best....

Well, how old are they? To me, mounting doesn't say much anyway unless you know they are the opposite sex, because bucks will mount bucks, and does the same, to show dominance. As a matter of fact, I once had a Mini Rex buck embarrass me terribly at a show, I put him on the table with the other senior bucks, and he proceeded to run to the nearest buck and mount him.

:embarrassed:

There wasn't any mounting. But buzzing and chasing seemed reason enough for me to seperate them until I know their sex. They should be almost four months old.

Latest posts

Back